Author Topic: Death in Chelsea 1904 - Thomas WATERS  (Read 1027 times)

Offline joy_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Death in Chelsea 1904 - Thomas WATERS
« on: Friday 28 August 15 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have a copy of Thomas WATERS death certificate containing the following information:

Thomas Walters died 9 Jul 1904 at the Chelsea Infirmary age 72, shoemaker late of 44 Slaidburn Street. Cause of death syncope pneumonia, injury caused by a fall, accidental. Certificate received from coroner. Inquest held 12 Jul 1904.

Of course, it may be that he just passed out and banged his head, but family legend has it that a wall fell on top of him! At Nanny Jan’s suggestion, I wrote to the LMA to see if they hold copies of the coroner's reports.  I received this reply:

“Inquests into deaths which took place in Chelsea c. 1904 were carried out by the Coroner for the 'County of London, Western District'.  I regret that relatively few coroners' records survive for London and we do not hold any coroners registers for this particular district between 1892 and 1930.  Neither are there any of the more detailed case papers prior to 1927.

I have also checked to see whether we hold any relevant records from Chelsea Infirmary (later St Luke's Hospital) but regret that none survive for the period in question, except for the following register which I have checked without success: CHBG/196/002 - Infirmary, Cale Street: Particulars of infirmary cases, 1902-1905.  As far as I can tell, no other records from the hospital are held elsewhere.” 

They suggested I emailed Kensington and Chelsea Local Studies Library since they hold copies of local newspapers from that time. Someone there very kindly completed a check of the Kensington Post and the West London Press Chelsea News, but could find no mention of the accident, Thomas’ death or inquest. They looked at the nearest dated newspaper (July 15 for both) and the next copy.

So it seems I have hit the proverbial brick-wall.  Shall I just let this one go or is there something else I could try?

Joy
CHIPPING Surrey
DOGGRELL, GATCUM and all variants anytime anywhere
GATEHOUSE Mere Wilts & Gillingham Dorset
HALL Blackmoor, Oakhanger Hants & Albourne Sussex
KEMP Blackmoor & Headley, Hants
WATERS Holborn, Chelsea, Staines & Norfolk

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Chelsea 1904 - Thomas WATERS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Slightly puzzled, only Thomas Waters/Walters death in Chelsea in 1904 seems to be
March 1904, Chelsea 1a 295
Walters, Thomas
age 72

But you say he died in July?

Offline joy_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

Boy, do I feel like an idiot!

I've just had a closer look at the death certificate and what I thought was 'July' is actually 'Feby.'

Thank you for drawing this to my attention.  I can now go back to the LMA etc with the correct information.

kind regards

Joy
CHIPPING Surrey

Offline joy_w

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 15 13:31 BST (UK) »
Success! I gave Kensington Library the correct date (thanks Jon!) and they found the coroner's report for Thomas Waters for me and sent it to me as a PDF.

It was a comprehensive piece in the West London Press - too lengthy to print here - basically saying that Thomas had 'become childish' and had wandered off.  He was found lying in the road and taken to the police station where he told them he had been "blown over by the wind."  He was hospitalised and sadly died two weeks later of pneumonia.

CHIPPING Surrey