Author Topic: Harriet Jane Connolly - Trying again  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Harriet Jane Connolly - Trying again
« on: Friday 28 August 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm throwing this out back into the world in the hope that someone might be able to help me with this brick wall. I'm sorry if I'm not quite posting this in the right place but this story jumps around a lot!

In my family tree is a women called Gertrude Connolly. She was born in Down in approximately 1901 although I'm unclear on the exact details of this, partly because it was an illegitimate birth.

What I do know is that her mother was a woman called Harriett Jane Connolly.

I believe that Harriett was born on 8th December 1865 in Belfast and that her parents were William John Connolly and a women named Harriett Gracey.

I know nothing about what happens to her from the date of her birth until the 1901 census. According to the National Archives of Ireland, in 1901 she is living in House 61 in Ballylough, (Dundrum, Down) with her aunts, Margaret Gracey and Catherine Gracey who are both in their 60s. According to the original image provide she was working as a milliner, her aunts were farmers.

At some point in 1901/2 she has a baby, Gertrude Connolly.

On the 1911 census she is still living with her Aunt Margaret. She also has Gertrude Connolly with her, aged 10 according to the census form. She is listed as single so it's clear she didn't marry, at least not by this point. The form claims that Gertrude is Margaret's Granddaughter but Margaret is listed as single too (I'm assuming single means never married). Neither of them have filled in the bit which says 'children born alive', so there is some mental gymnastics happening on this form.

Somewhat more confusingly, I've just noticed the National Archive of Ireland provides a second page for this census return and under the section 'Name of Head of Family' it says Catherine Gracey, but Catherine isn't listed as a household resident on the form?  ???

I'd love to know more about the circumstances of Gertrude Connolly's birth. I appreciate it is unlikely but I'm hoping there is a clue lurking somewhere!

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Jane Connolly - Trying again
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
I should have added I know what became of Gertrude Gracey, she married an Englishman and moved to Hull and she took Harriet with her.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:21 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 census she is still living with her Aunt Margaret. She also has Gertrude Connolly with her, aged 10 according to the census form. She is listed as single so it's clear she didn't marry, at least not by this point. The form claims that Gertrude is Margaret's Granddaughter

Somewhat more confusingly, I've just noticed the National Archive of Ireland provides a second page for this census return and under the section 'Name of Head of Family' it says Catherine Gracey, but Catherine isn't listed as a household resident on the form?

Both the original image & transcription for the 1911 shows residents as Catherine Gracey, Harriet & Gertrude Connolly.  No mention of Margaret who presumably died between 1901-1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dundrum/Ballylough/236205/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002220237/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry you are right CaroleW, I've been looking at it with tired eyes!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
I was aware that I had old threads about this. I titled the thread 'trying again' because of this.

Those threads are quite old now. As the membership of Rootschat grows so quickly and will be very different now from when I posted those original threads, I was hoping that if I brought the subject up again new members might be aware of this family and have some insight that others couldn't.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 15 12:20 BST (UK) »

Hi, I'm not sure about the "1901/1902" doubt over this, GRONI online has a civil birth record for a Gertrude Connolly born 12 July 1901, registered in Downpatrick registration district, have you investigated this record?

Gertrude also didn't provide any father's details at the time of her marriage to Lance Corp. Robert Wheldale in Newcastle 1928.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm throwing this out back into the world in the hope that someone might be able to help me with this brick wall. I'm sorry if I'm not quite posting this in the right place but this story jumps around a lot!

In my family tree is a women called Gertrude Connolly. She was born in Down in approximately 1901 although I'm unclear on the exact details of this, partly because it was an illegitimate birth.

What I do know is that her mother was a woman called Harriett Jane Connolly.

I believe that Harriett was born on 8th December 1865 in Belfast and that her parents were William John Connolly and a women named Harriett Gracey.

I know nothing about what happens to her from the date of her birth until the 1901 census. According to the National Archives of Ireland, in 1901 she is living in House 61 in Ballylough, (Dundrum, Down) with her aunts, Margaret Gracey and Catherine Gracey who are both in their 60s. According to the original image provide she was working as a milliner, her aunts were farmers.

On the 1911 census she is still living with her Aunt Margaret. She also has Gertrude Connolly with her, aged 10 according to the census form. She is listed as single so it's clear she didn't marry, at least not by this point. The form claims that Gertrude is Margaret's Granddaughter but Margaret is listed as single too (I'm assuming single means never married). Neither of them have filled in the bit which says 'children born alive', so there is some mental gymnastics happening on this form.

Somewhat more confusingly, I've just noticed the National Archive of Ireland provides a second page for this census return and under the section 'Name of Head of Family' it says Catherine Gracey, but Catherine isn't listed as a household resident on the form?  ???

I'd love to know more about the circumstances of Gertrude Connolly's birth. I appreciate it is unlikely but I'm hoping there is a clue lurking somewhere!

Just wanting to re-post your last post, in case I lose it!  :)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 15 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy, your help is much appreciated.

The reason I've doubted the birthday is that I was given another date for her birthday by another family member who started our tree. I was given a different date again by another family member who claimed this was the date they routinely celebrated her birthday. The record you have pointed to must be the correct one I suppose but I've been second guessing myself.

There has been a lot of contradicting information about her from family sources. One person told me her father was an Italian or German, another said American. Someone else in the family said she had a sister called Ruby, but I have never found any proof that Ruby ever existed and lots of Rootschat members have searched for her and found no trace either. It's a pickle!

How did you find the record about Gertrude's marriage that you refer to in your post? I don't think I have that and I'm not sure I ever have (although some of my data seems to have disappeared since I switched over to the latest version of Ancestry so it could have been amongst the stuff that went).