Author Topic: Missing Scotter/Scottow baptisms, Norwich & Holt  (Read 1756 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Scotter/Scottow baptisms, Norwich & Holt
« on: Saturday 29 August 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
I have 'lost' 3 baptisms of my great great grandmother's siblings.

Parents Joseph and Mary Ann (nee Lilley), married in Hingham in 1820 and their eldest child Louisa (b&d 1821) was christened there and their next 10 children who were born between 1822 and 1839, all baptised at St George Colegate, Norwich.

The earlier children turned up as Scottow.

I then lose 3 of the last 4 children's baptisms:

George who was registered in Norwich in January 1841 (family were living in the parish of St Peter Hungate at the time but he was not christened at Colegate or Hungate)

Sarah who is registered in Erpingham in June 1843, later giving her place of birth on census returns as Holt.

James also gives Holt as his place of birth on census returns, born 1847.  I can't find a birth registration for him other than a James Scotter registered Erpingham in 1849 but I believe he is the son of James and Sarah who lived around Gimingham.  I've had another thread on James as he just goes missing after the 1871 census.

One other daughter Mary Ann who sits between Sarah and James does get christened at St Andrew, Holt on 1 February 1846.

I've trawled the baptisms for the available churches in Norwich and near to Holt/Hempstead listed above on the Norfolk Baptism Project site and can't find those 3 children.

Thanks
Ruth
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Scotter/Scottow baptisms, Norwich & Holt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
I'm confused   ???

1841 for Norfolk

Joseph Scotter   41
Mary Ann 40
Joe  19
William  13
Robert 10
Charles  6
Hannah    4
Amelia 3
George  5 Months
HO107 Piece 790/6 Folio 3 Page 22

This is the 1851 transcription for Myton Hull - Scotters all b Norwich except Mary Ann.  Moody's b Yorkshire

Joseph Scotter   51 b Norwich
Mary Ann  50 b Hingham
Robert  19
Edwin  17
Charles  16
George Moody   4
Mary E Moody   1
Elizabeth Jackson   37
James Macdonald   28
HO107 Piece 2363 Folio 340 Page 18

When you view the 1851 image - no Scotters - only Moody's although George and Mary Ann Moody are shown as the children of Joseph & Mary Scotter in the transcription
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Scotter/Scottow baptisms, Norwich & Holt
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 15 06:58 BST (UK) »
I know you are looking for the children's baptisms, however I found this in the Bishops Transcripts of Hingham: Mary Ann daughter of John Lilly and his wife Elizabeth late Williams was born 26 July 1802 baptized 1 August 1802.
When she married Joseph Scotter she was of Hingham and he was of St Clement in Norwich, the banns were read there on 28 January, 4 and 11 February 1821. Marriage at Hingham 5 March 1821.