Author Topic: Walter Skelton  (Read 5027 times)

Offline tetapay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Walter Skelton
« on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I've tried multiple times to find information on my 2xGreat Grandfather Walter Skelton to no avail. My grandma has always believed that he was Irish. He married into a staunchly Methodist family and would join them for church on a Sunday but would go straight to the Pub afterwards rather than go home with the family. However I'm struggling to find any proof, or any record of him in liverpool or Ireland.

In the 1871 census I find him, at the age of 15, listed as Relative living with a Cullen/Culten family from Wexford and Ireland. They lived in Liverpool and Walter is listed as being born in Liverpool. (Birth year-1856)

In 1881 he had moved to live with the Brown family, his future in-laws, at the age of 22. (Birth Year-1859)

In 1891 he still lived with the Browns but now was suddenly 38. (Birth year-1853)

In 1892, at the age of 30, Walter married Jane Brown. He listed his father as James Skelton (deceased). (Birth Year-1862)

In 1901, at the age of 42, Walter was living with his wife and children. (Birth Year-1862)

In 1911, at the age of 49, Walter was living with his wife and children. (Birth Year-1865)

In 1919, in his burial record, he is listed as being 57. (Birth year - 1862)

If anyone could help to prove wether he was Irish or English, or could provide any advice on how I could find out would be greatly appreciated.

Ieuan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Skelton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
Although his age does vary a bit (not uncommon really) does his birhplace ever say Ireland?

If he was born in England you can check FreeBMD website for possibilities.

Not sure how you've tried to find a record of him in Ireland since birth registration only started there in 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is this birth in Liverpool

Births December qtr 1854 
Walter Skelton Liverpool    8b   52
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tetapay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
He's never listed as being born in Ireland, only as Relatives of an Irish family. I tried searching on the 'Catholic Parish Registers at NLI site'.

I've tried to find that registration on both Ancestry and LancashireBMD but can't find it. Is there anyway you could send a link to where you found it.

Thanks

Ieuan

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 19:26 BST (UK) »

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found it on freebmd but is is also on Family Search as shown in the reply above

www.freebmd.org.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ronnier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,  On Familysearch.org there are records for Walter Skelton in Newtownbarry (Bunclody) Co Wexford.  I saw Skeltons listed on registersnli.ie I think in Marshallstown parish.  There were Skeltons living around Bunclody area a few years ago  Good luck
Ronnie

Offline tetapay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot everyone. I've just ordered the Birth Certificate so hopefully if thats right i can start moving further back on his line. If not I'll be sure to check out family search to see if I can see him on there. I'll let you all know when it gets here.

Ieuan

Offline tetapay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
So I've got an update.

I got the Birth Certificate and it seems right so I've got a family group of sorts.

James Skelton m Johanna Doyle 1853 in Liverpool (waiting for the certificate to be delivered)
1st son - Jacob Skelton b.1853
2nd son - Walter Skelton b.1854
1st dau - Johanna Skelton b.1859

However I can't seem to find them on any census records in 1861 and I can only find Walter from 1871 onwards. Hopefully the marriage certificate will give me some more information on Walters parents but if anyone could help find these census records it would be greatly appreciated.

Ieuan