Author Topic: Jane or Jean LOW & Margaret LOW- c1846/1848 St Vigeans  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ozziemike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane or Jean LOW & Margaret LOW- c1846/1848 St Vigeans
« on: Wednesday 02 September 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
Have been trying for ages to find the date of birth for Jane/Jean LOW and her sister Margaret. Their father was Francis LOW, (he was a Policeman) and their mother was Jane HENDERSON. On every Census from 1851 to 1911 their place of birth has always been quoted as St Vigeans, Forfarshire.

I have found the records for two older siblings who were born in Barry, Scotland (1843 & 1845) and those of two younger siblings who were born in St Vigeans (1850 & 1853) but nothing for Jane/Jean and her sister Margaret.

Would appreciate any help in solving this problem.
Hurn

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Jane or Jean LOW & Margaret LOW- c1846/1848 St Vigeans
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In 1861 Jean is widowed with no sign of Jean born abt 1847 or Margaret born abt 1849 although both older and younger siblings are with their mom. I'd expect Margaret age around 12 by then to be close by but struggling to find her?
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
There could well be gaps in the registers, ozziemike. Sometimes happened that you can find some entries but not others. Not all registers have survived the years, many lost or destroyed causing gaps. It may also be that although they show in 1851 with a given birth place, it may have been different...and that area has gaps on their registers  :-\

Just adding an entry for what looks like first born daughter in 1840 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYN6-Y9K She doesn't seem to show with the family in 1851 (haven't checked for 1841). Maybe she died young?

Monica

Added: Sorry, can see you have all of this already www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=430940.0
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
As a complete aside, have you ever thought of following up on Francis Low's career. Not guaranteed that you would find his employment records, however, as we all know, you don't know what is or not there until you search. See this for example:

I was very fortunate when I contacted the Police Museum, Dundee some years ago and not only got my ancester's work record from 1848 to 1892 but a photograph of him in uniform.

Waiwera

I thought that if you were fortunate enough to find anything at all on Francis, it might give you further clues as to where he may have been living with family at the time of his children's births.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ozziemike

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the help so far. :)  As some of the siblings are shown on https://familysearch.org/search site I can only assume that there are gaps in the records otherwise one would assume their details would also be shown. I have also previously searched various records with Scotlands People but no luck there either which probably confirms the omissions.  :(

Thanks MonicaL for the tip about the Police Museum. I will look into this as well with the hope that it may throw some light concerning Francis Low the father of Jane & Margaret.

Mike
Hurn