Author Topic: These names must surely take some beating!!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
These names must surely take some beating!!
« on: Thursday 03 September 15 06:05 BST (UK) »
This appeared in 'The Otago Witness' dated 3.10.1906...........

"Governor Hogg's frankness in naming his children is quite equalled by a Washingtonian whose wife presented him with twin daughters. At the christening the minister was startled to learn that the father had decided to name them Kate and Duplicate.

Several years twins were again born into the family, this time boys, who were duly named Peter and Repeater. A third time this strenuous opponent of race suicide was blessed with children twain, and this time he named the wee lads Max and Climax."

This article came to my attention by a New Zealand reader of Family Tree magazine (September issue) who was researching the Hogg name.

Governor Hogg was apparently governor of Texas between 1890 and 1895. His only daughter was named Ima! Poor lass. The other children are not named in the article.

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: These names must surely take some beating!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
minniehaha,
Your post on Ima sent me a seeking..cant find any thing of all the twins..names..but did see this below, also saw that a child was named Ura Hogg too.

Ima Hogg was born in Mineola, Texas in 1882 to Jim Hogg and Sarah Ann "Sallie" Stinson. She was the second of four children, including brothers William Clifford Hogg (1875–1930), Michael Hogg (1885–1941), and Thomas Elisha Hogg (1887–1949). The Hogg family had long been active in public service.

yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, mention in the Family Tree (UK) article was made of Ura Hogg but I'm not sure that the author was able to confirm this one. There were three sons born to Governor Hogg and his wife but they are not named in the article. Imagine having to introduce herself as Ima Hogg; and poor Ura Hogg being introduced. Oh dear!

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Minniehaha,

Good thing the surname was not Pigg...whats your name little girl..Ura Pigg
Oh Dear..

yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
To digress slightly,  but that last one reminds of a funny story from when  I was a teenager.

We lived in a small block of flats,  we had a flowering plant outside our flat.  A neighbour asked me what it was called.   I replied  truthfully   "Mind your own business"    which  I believed was its name.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 15 12:06 BST (UK) »

"Governor Hogg was apparently governor of Texas"

Not "The" Boss Hogg surely?

[/quote]
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 15 15:30 BST (UK) »
My mother used to trot out the info, when talking of people's names, of a HOGG family she knew as a child/teenager.  They had three girls - Ima and Ida (and I can't remember the third one but equally awful with that surname).

I also met a family some years ago, called Aarrsse which they understandably prounounced as Air-see.   ::)  ::)  ::)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)