Author Topic: Missing Yorkshire Birth/Baptism Record for Joseph Wilman  (Read 2033 times)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Yorkshire Birth/Baptism Record for Joseph Wilman
« on: Saturday 05 September 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have simply run out of ideas as to where I can find the Birth/Baptism of my gr gr grandfather's birth/baptism record. I have memberships with both Ancestry and FindMyPast. I found Joseph marrying Susan Buckley in May 1841 in Birstal, Yorkshire. Joseph gave his father's name as Ambrose Wilman. I found Joseph and Susan Wilman in the 1841 Census. They were in the same house as Susan's mother and father - Thomas and Martha Buckley. Living with Joseph and Susannah is James, who I believe is Joseph's brother. I found James baptism and his mother and father were Fanny and Ambrose Wilman. I have found all of Ambrose and Fanny (nee Thompson) Wilman's children. Some were baptized in Church of England, some in the Wesleyan Church and some were baptized in both churches. I cannot find anything on Joseph Wilman's birth/baptism. I found Joseph in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses and he gives his birth year as 1817 and birth place as Dewsbury, Yorkshire. He died in 1859 and was buried in Westown on March 9, 1859. He was 42 years old.
Can anybody help me to find Joseph Wilman's Birth/baptism? I need to validate this information in order to confirm that Ambrose was his true father.
Thank you.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Yorkshire Birth/Baptism Record for Joseph Wilman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
So who were his siblings, what dates and churches are shown for their baptisms?

How can you have Joseph in 1861 census when you also say he was dead and buried in 1859?

Take a step back, give details.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Fanny & Ambrose married in 1816.  Joseph was therefore their firstborn.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have simply run out of ideas as to where I can find the Birth/Baptism of my gr gr grandfather's birth/baptism record. I have memberships with both Ancestry and FindMyPast. I found Joseph marrying Susan Buckley in May 1841 in Birstal, Yorkshire. Joseph gave his father's name as Ambrose Wilman. I found Joseph and Susan Wilman in the 1841 Census. They were in the same house as Susan's mother and father - Thomas and Martha Buckley. Living with Joseph and Susannah is James, who I believe is Joseph's brother. I found James baptism and his mother and father were Fanny and Ambrose Wilman. I have found all of Ambrose and Fanny (nee Thompson) Wilman's children. Some were baptized in Church of England, some in the Wesleyan Church and some were baptized in both churches. I cannot find anything on Joseph Wilman's birth/baptism. I found Joseph in the 1841, 1851 Censuses and he gives his birth year as 1817 and birth place as Dewsbury, Yorkshire. He died in 1859 and was buried in Westown on March 9, 1859. He was 42 years old.
Can anybody help me to find Joseph Wilman's Birth/baptism? I need to validate this information in order to confirm that Ambrose was his true father.
Thank you.

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
The Roots Cellar (part of Huddersfield FHS ) at ,I think, Marsden,Near Huddersfield are most helpful.I obtained much detailed data re my Lister family branch from them.They sell CD's specific to Birstall.
Good luck!
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I will follow up on this.
Interesting as one of my Wilman family married Hiram Lister!
Thanks again.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Try not to give up irish2gen, it could be a misspelling and transcription problem that might come to light or even they may have not been baptised where you think they were. Hope it comes to light soon for you.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 15 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I found Joseph in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Censuses and he gives his birth year as 1817

Joseph was listed as 34 in 1851 (30 March 1851) - indicating a birthdate 31 March 1816 - 30 March 1817.

He was 42 at burial on 9 March 1859 - so birthdate between 10 March 1816 - 9 March 1817.

Ambrose and Fanny married on 1 December 1816.  There looks like a good chance Joseph was born before their marriage.  Have you looked for him under her maiden surname Thompson (and variants)?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 06:16 GMT (UK) »
The Root Cellar is in Greens End Road, in MELTHAM, not Marsden.  Their research room is very close to the church.  See their website for opening hours.  Good luck with your research.