Author Topic: Looking for two Brooks in Whiteinch  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for two Brooks in Whiteinch
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 September 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby

I have acquired their ages and I feel I have found their roots and Abrahams marriage I am not unhappy with that, unfortunately every puzzle solved seems to throw up another one. Bob Charnley in his book "Shipwrecked on Vatersay" says the survivors disappeared into time. And when he wrote the book that was the case. But not any more with the power of the internet and the fantastic researchers like yourself on line, its possible to track down anybody.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards Allan

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 02:41 GMT (UK) »
OK, guesses...

From this post here on the R&C board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730077.0 we had the following Ross names:

•Alexander Ross
•Marian Ross
•Francis Ross
•David Ross
•Christian Ross
•John Ross
•Isabella Ross
•Alexander Ross

There is an entry in 1851 Glasgow:

William Ross 51 lodger cabinet maker b. Inverness
Alexander Ross 19 lodger cabinet maker b. Inverness
Address: 75 Old Wynd, Glasgow

But, there is no mention on the lists of a William Ross so...? From 1851 Scotland, these are the only references I can see to the surname Ross and cabinet makers.

It would be Alexander making the petition. William Ross is listed in the inquiry on page xi as one of the Memorialists requesting a Commission be held.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Could anybody who has access to the 1851 census look them up?

Everyone has access to the 1851 census of Lanarkshire at www.freecen.org.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda

You have no idea how appropriate that information is, in the book I have some of the characters living and leaving from the old Wynd Glasgow which was one of the notorious slums in the mid 18th century. So fiction becomes fact. A hard one to prove, is it the same Alexander Ross? I think given the joinery skills and the fact that the tradesmen were recruited in Glasgow there is a good chance it is.
Thanks once again

Forfarian I was not aware of that when I first started researching being totally inexperienced, but I have been looking for the origins of up to 430 people. So I am looking for kind hearted people who may have an interest in genealogy to help me out. I should have phrased it ( Could anybody who has access to the 1851 census and has some local knowledge look them up ) The problem being we do not have ages or origins of those who were lost in the tragedy, so a double handicap.
There were about 80 Scottish tradesmen and their families lost in the tragedy the Scots were in the centre of the ship the part that collapsed it looks like only 11 survived all men. Somebody must have missed them.

Thanks for your interest
Regards Allan

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 December 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allen

Your welcome. I think you have (at least) two Ross  families in that list of Ross'. Not sure if the 21 year old Alexander Ross is the first or last Ross in your list.

This looks potential for Marian, with its inaccuracy. Maybe she was going to America with husband (if he was Alexander) & children or going to meet her husband with children.

The 1851 census on FreeCen is not complete, and does not cover Duirinish. Maybe someone with Access to Ancestry or GRO could look for this family in 1851 to see what the names of the unidentified are.

Scotland 1841 Census
Place: Duirinish -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 6
Civil Parish: Duirinish
Folio: 6 Page: 13
Address: Kensale Roag
Alexr M 40 Ag Lab
Marian F 35
Mary F 11
Christian F 9
(Child) F 7   
(Child) F 7   
(Child) F 7
All born Inverness-shire

Linda

Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby