Author Topic: James Holmes, Clovervale, Islandmagee  (Read 2533 times)

Offline a009275

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Holmes, Clovervale, Islandmagee
« on: Monday 07 September 15 03:40 BST (UK) »
James Holmes (1791 - 1858) married to Elizabeth Smith (1795 - 1878).  Known children: William H Holmes (1822 - 1896); George Smith Holmes (1825 - 1857); Elizabeth Holmes (1832 - 1864); Ann Jane Holmes (?). 

Oral family history says that James was a 6th generation Holmes at Clovervale, but i have hit a road block for going further back.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline MLH40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Holmes, Clovervale, Islandmagee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
I understand your dilemma!  I am also looking for Holmes information in the same time period and location as your James and probably our lines connect at some point.  However, because of the lack of documents available for the late 17th & 18th centuries of Ireland, developing a family unit from sketchy information is very difficult. 
I have always been interested in the Holmes families from the eastern coast areas of Ireland because similar names found in records in this general area are in my Holmes lines.  The areas of Islandmagee, Larne, Glenarm show an Alexander, Hugh, David, James and Andrew all from mid-1600's to mid-1700's.  I'm sure both our lines connect with the above individuals somehow!
I just don't have access to information from these areas to be able to construct family groups.  I am possibly looking for a David Holmes born between 1730-40 with a son Alexander (my ancestor, b. 1760-65).  Don't know that my Alexander's father was David, but Alexander named his oldest son, David---that's all I have to go on.

If you have information on any of the above names and/or individual families and could provide any help, I would be most appreciative of your effort.

Thank you for any help & reply!

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a Holmes connection through my Colville ancestors. Although not as far back as your research goes it may be of some interest.

Jenny Holmes, of Islandmagee, d/o Alexander, farmer, married James Colville s/o Samuel 3 March 1898 at 1st Presbyterian Church, Larne.
Jenny died at age 48 of pulmonary tuberculosis on 26 December 1912 at Ballymoney, Islandmagee.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline MLH40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
J.A.M., thank you for sharing your Holmes connection.  Would you possibly have any information about Jenny's father, Alexander?  Would you happen to know any other researchers that are working on Holmes lines from this general area?  Thanks, again, for your responses and help!

MLH40

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but I haven't gotten any further back in my research as I've been concentrating on my Colville bloodline. Eventually I will research the Holmes family, probably next year.
I will advise you should I come up with any information.

J.A.M.

Offline MLH40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
J.A.M.
It's been a couple of years since our last post, just wondering if you had uncovered any of your HOLMES genealogy in the Islandmagee area??  Thanks!!

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi MLH40,
Time flies.
I have Holmes information but have been unable to confirm it relates to my line.

Alexander Holmes married Jane Templeton 2 Sept. 1861 at Islandmagee 2nd Presbyterian. Alexander's father was Alexander; Jane Templeton's father was Samuel Templeton; witnesses were Hugh Holmes & Martha Templeton.
Alexander Holmes died at Ballypriormore 21 Jan. 1883 aged 66, married, James Moore present.

I hope this is of some help.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline KarenLow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 August 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi MLH40,
Time flies.
I have Holmes information but have been unable to confirm it relates to my line.

Alexander Holmes married Jane Templeton 2 Sept. 1861 at Islandmagee 2nd Presbyterian. Alexander's father was Alexander; Jane Templeton's father was Samuel Templeton; witnesses were Hugh Holmes & Martha Templeton.
Alexander Holmes died at Ballypriormore 21 Jan. 1883 aged 66, married, James Moore present.

I hope this is of some help.

Good hunting.

J.A.M.

I also have this information. I believe Jane Templeton was the sister of my great great grandmother, Sarah Templeton, who married Samuel Montgomery. My mother remembered there being Holmes in the family, so I'm pretty sure this is the connection.