Author Topic: Elusive OPR births  (Read 1750 times)

Offline paulsplace2009

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elusive OPR births
« on: Monday 07 September 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am looking for children of my 4 x great grandparents, William Osborne & Agnes Wright

On both the 1851 & 1861, they have 3 children (mary b.1835 / helen b.abt1845 / wiliam b.abt1850)

what i find strange, is that Helen and william cant be found in OPRs on Scotlands people or IGI....

Sureley it wouldnt have been procedure not to register births?

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks

REID
BROWN
KERR
COPELAND

GLASGOW AND ARGYLL
KERR - ANDERSTON(GLASGOW) & ARGYLL
REID/BROWN - GOVAN
COPELAND - GLASGOW

IRELAND
LEITCH
DUFFY

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive OPR births
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 15 16:30 BST (UK) »
The Statutory Birth Registration did not start till 1855 ..Have you tried different variations of the surname ?

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
You don't say what religion the family followed but the OPR's on Scotlands people are for the Church of Scotland only with the additional records for the Roman Catholic Church. The churches referred to as Secessionist churches are not available on SP although some (but not all) of them are on Family Search the LDS site. The same goes for other faiths.
While in theory every birth in the parish was supposed to be recorded many slipped through the net for various reasons, while many others were simply not reported to the Church for family reasons or sadly the records simply never survived.

Have you checked SP to see the parish records coverage ?

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Not so unusual - I have lots missing from pre 1855 - in some cases, entire families, or more often, just one or two children. You don't say which parish, but in my case, Strichen in Aberdeenshire seems to have a black hole from about 1790 to around 1820ish for births and marriages. My guess is the records simply haven't survived.

I've also had problems with Glasgow - but in that case, it's normally one or two members of a family - and I figure they've just slipped through the net and simply not been registered for whatever reason.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 15 19:27 BST (UK) »
I am looking for children of my 4 x great grandparents, William Osborne & Agnes Wright

On both the 1851 & 1861, they have 3 children (mary b.1835 / helen b.abt1845 / wiliam b.abt1850)

Marriage (Lanark) for William & Agnes
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTTP-S6X

Birth (Stirling) for Mary
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1SX-LQF

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers
The above link will show you the coverage of every parish in Scotland.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.