Author Topic: Newcomer to site  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Helenrooney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcomer to site
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have just registered , and have no clue where to start. My Parents both were born in South Shields and Stanley , Co. Durham. if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newcomer to site
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

You can start off by explaining what it is you want to know.
Names and dates will help us here.

But beware! RootsChat has a policy of not naming living people! :o

Best place to start would be FreeBMD (.org.uk), where you can find their birth registrations and, if after 1911, their mother's maiden name.

From that you should be able to find their parent's marriages?

Any problems - just ask away!
We like to help!! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Is it your parents that you are researching more on or are you looking to find out about their parents your Grandparents?

If you could let us know a little more, the names of the people you are researching, the dates or ages that you know and what you wish to know.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Helen,

The most effective way to start (both in terms of time and cost) is to try to get together the information to take you back to the first census year available (currently 1911) because once you have managed that it is usually possible, with a little luck, to get right back to the early 1800s by cross-referencing the civil indexes of birth marriage and death that commenced in 1837 with the once-a-decade census snapshots that began in 1841 and which are currently available for 1841 through to 1911.  Some of this information can be had for free and some requires a subscription to one of the principal genealogy websites to access. www.freebmd.org.uk is an invaluable and free way to access the GRO indexes I mentioned.

As I said, the essential first step though is to be sure who you are looking for in those pre-1911 records and that will entail gathering as much info as you can by word of mouth from family members and then using the GRO indexes as a tool. If you have any gaps in family knowledge which bring you to a dead end then you will need to hurdle this by investing in a certificate - for example, if you know the surnames of your grandparents and those surnames are not too common, then you can use the freebmd index for marriages to find the date and reference of their wedding.  If that is the current extent of your knowledge (i.e. if you don't know who your grandparents' parents were) then ordering the certificate will give you the father (and his occupation) for both bride and groom. £9.25 per certificate I'm afraid but essential to be sure you're barking up the right tree.

If your grandparents were, for example, William and Nellie and Samuel and Mary, purchasing their respective marriage certificates would give you the names of 4 great grandfathers and more clues with which to search the GRO indexes and/or the census.  It's all about clues and stepping stones and there is a whole community on here to help you jump from stone to stone when you get stuck.  :)
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Helenrooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:23 BST (UK) »
thank you to all who have replied. I have managed to dig some papers out that a distant relative started . My ;D Granparents on the Maternal side, were William Clark born 1894 , in Stanley , I believe. grandmother, Jessie Atkinson Lewins, b 1894 , Gateshead.
My Paternal Granparents, James Tennant, b 1896 ? Gateshead. Married Lydia Bowey b 1898 ?  Lived in Front Street Stanley.

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
William Clarke (with an 'e' in the GRO index) m. Jessie Lewins 1915 June Qtr Lanchester 10a 691

James Tennant m. Lydia Bowey 1913 June Qtr Lanchester 10a 613

With those two marriage certificates, you should be away and running  :)

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline Helenrooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:41 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU ! I am a complete novice , my mum is 95 , and keen for me to start searching, this is herMother and Father, but I don't really know what to do with the info you sent .

Offline Helenrooney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful and excited to get started !

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Both couples were married in the Lanchester area. If they married in a Church in Stanley it may have been at St. Andrew's (Beamish) C of E. which is in Stanley or St. Joseph's RC in Stanley. Both in the Lanchester Registration District.