Author Topic: Does anyone know Withernsea well?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone know Withernsea well?
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the houses on the promenade are the same ones as in 1911? If so my relative lived at 23, so if there is anyone who can point out which house it is I'd appreciate it.

http://tinyurl.com/nvostjn

They also lived in the Promenade Villas, but I can't find any reference to them. Were they bulldozed or renamed? Thanks.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know Withernsea well?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
I don't know the town but by knowledge of domestic architecture suggests that while many of those houses look pre WW1 there seems to be a lot of 1930s and post WW2 replacement as well.

Terraces and even semi-detached houses were often individually named and this was sometimes instead of numbering within the street and sometimes in addition. Scrolling along the street very few properties seem to have permanent name plaques. Those that have are unreadable on Street View.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
The bottom photo on this Withernsea webpage shows the promenade in the year 1890.

http://withernsea1.co.uk/PromenadeNorth.html

According to this webpage that promenade was extended in 1920.

http://withernsea1.co.uk/PromenadeSouth.html

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Great pics! I should maybe have said it was 4 Promenade Villas, suggesting it wasn't a house name.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 06:02 BST (UK) »
I agree with Peter. I am not sure if it is the case here, but a terrace of houses may have been built along the Promenade probably by a private developer/builder, and the terrace was named "Promenade Villas". It could have consisted of many or just a few houses.

23 The Promenade could have been elsewhere along the promenade.

The Villas are not marked here, but you can see how short the Promenade used to be:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.7331&lon=0.0309&layers=171&right=BingHyb (you can use your mouse to hover over details on the maps to compare specific details)

If you look at the family and their neighbours in the 1911 census you might get an idea which part of the Promenade number 23 was.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
I live opposite a row of terraced houses that have an engraved name on it of: "Birch Terrace" and in case the "Promenade Villas" had the latter name engraved on a block of masonry I specifically looked along the row of what looks like the original row of villas but unfortunately there's no name.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, those maps are great.

Offline Edmund

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 15:42 BST (UK) »
The large "villas" are pre 1911, probably 1890's.

If you cross reference this map with the 1911 summary book, no23 is 6 houses back from Young Street, where the bandstand is in the old photo, (one to the right of the one with the green gate, in front of red car on Streetview).

Or in the summary book , starting from the Seaside Street end (after the Pier Hotel and 5 houses) there are 28 houses to Young Street, then it looks like the 3 at the other side have been added on before going back to Young Street. (no No30).

In the 1890 map the street has no buildings on it.

http://treasurehouse.eastriding.gov.uk/ArchiveMap.aspx?sheet=243   (243.5 1890).

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Do you mean the one with the white door, next door to the broken lime green gate? Do you think 4  Promenade Villas was on the same street?

Btw, I can't get that map to display because of a plug-in, does anyone else have that problem?