Author Topic: What Determined a Regiment on Enlistment.  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: What Determined a Regiment on Enlistment.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 September 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Yes Max, I noticed that too.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found Alf's (Ancestry had him down as A.L.F  ::) ) entry on the "Medal and Award Rolls" for his 1915 star, it states:-

"13th North'd Fus,
 5358, A/W.O.C1. II
 8th North'd Fus.

That helps me to put a bit more on the bones, could anyone enlighten me as to what the letters mean.

Just to add, above is shown exactly as it appears on the Roll, But it has all got double lines through it in ink.  :-\

Thanks and regards always for your continued input.

Frank.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 September 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
Acting Warrant Officer Class 2.

The details you have found does not tally with his medal card. The 13th Bn went overseas as per the card in march 1915, but the card says he was a Private at the time.

Ken

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken, thank you for the explanation regarding the Acting Warrant Officer Class 2.

Strange that the details do not tally with the medal index card,...........  I have more digging to do.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 September 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Just to add, I have downloaded Alf's "Soldiers Will" from the National Archives, this was signed on the 16th of October 1916 at which time he was a sergeant in the Northumberland Fusiliers, this narrows it down for my search for the date of his commission as it will be between October 1916 and April 1918.

Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 September 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again  :). Another bit of information, Alfred's name appears in the "Supplement to the London Gazette" on the 30th of October 1916 page number? 10528 to be a Temporary second Lieutenant.

His name appears under the "Volunteer Force" section and in a group of names for the Glamorgan Volunteer Regiment.

Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 September 15 21:35 BST (UK) »
I have now, also got him in the Gazette dated 19th December 1917 page 13311, to the East Yorkshire Regiment as a second Lieutenant.

Frank.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 September 15 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank

My GF was a WO Class 2 when he was offered a commission in 1915. He took it but only because they wanted an Adjutant and so he was promoted to Captain & Adjutant on his first day. After about a year his battalion was merged and he returned to his substantive rank of 2nd Lt. He basically threatened to resign as he could not support his wife and six children on a 2nd Lt's pay, which was about the same as a WO II. But officers had to provide their own uniform and pay mess bills. So I am always surprised that senior NCOs accepted a commission without the promise of a temporary promotion to Lt or Captain.

As a discharged man my GF had 3s 6d a day pension from his 25 years as a Other Rank, and even that was enough to live on with his subalterns pay.

Ken

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 September 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
Just to update the thread:

I sent for a quote for the copying of Alf's supplementary records from the National Archives and there is good news and bad news,

The good news is that there must be quite a bit of information  :) :) :)

The bad news is that the cost is £97-50  :o :o :o

Sorry but it's on the back burner for the time being.

Regards
Frank.