Author Topic: BOHAN FAMILYS  (Read 2171 times)

Offline boxerkelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BOHAN FAMILYS
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on any BOHAN (or BOWEN) families in county Kerry, particularly in and around Tralee,  births, marriages, deaths

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOHAN FAMILYS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 06:04 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOHAN FAMILYS
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
From the previous topic (thanks for the link, Ruskie)-
Johanna's middle names as far as I know were Ann and May, later grand-daughter born in Canada was named May, presumably, after her. Women with the name Johanna were often referred to as Hanna for short.
some new information has come to me fro a cousin who visited Ireland in 2014 and hired a genealogist in Dublin. He found a record of marriage for a couple in Tralee, county Kerry, 1855...a Thomas O'Connor and Johanna BOHAN which I  understand is a  variant spelling of BOWEN...is it possible that in all future recordings of births, deaths , ships passenger lists etc that the person recording simply spelled the name as heard, using BOWEN? My cousin also found a record of birth  for a Patrick O'Connor. In the Canadian 1871 census the family was recorded with the three children born in Portsea but with a fourth child named Patrick who was apparently 14 at the time. His  birthdate then would have been 1857 and that is the birthdate recorded in Tralee. I am still not convinced these are "my" Thomas, Johanna and Patrick because none of my now deceased elders ever spoke of a connection with county Kerry. Five grandchildren of the Thomas born in 1867 all had varying stories of where the old folks had come from, that being, clare, Limerick and Cork. However I have yet to find any records of birth or marriage in those counties for Thomas or Johanna

Her name was more likely to be Johanna Mary rather than Johanna Ann May- Ann and Hannah are both used as forms of Johanna in Ireland, May (not common in Ireland in the 1830s) is a form of Mary.
Have you looked for the Tralee church records online yet? you could look for Bowen, children of the O'Connor/Bowen couple, etc.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0680
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!