Author Topic: Frederick George Plummer of Tunbridge Wells  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick George Plummer of Tunbridge Wells
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have reached an impass and would appreciate some assistance.

Im looking for any missing information for a Frederick George Plummer. He was born October 31,1875 at Hastings Sussex. He was one of 10 children born to William Plummer(1836-1899) and Phoebe Gertrude Stroud (1839-1899). Death record gave Frederick G. Plummer born 1876 died Tunbridge Wells April  25,1953 in Tunbridge Wells.

I have a directory listing for him in Tunbridge Wells on 1938 at 5 Calverley Park Gardens. I expect he moved into that home after the death of its previous occupant Sophia Frances Eyre on February 4,1931. A 1956 directory listing for 5 Calverley Park Gardens gave the occupant as A.W. Archer and so this coincides with Frederick's death record for 1953.

The only census record I have for Frederick  G. Plummer is for 1881 at 3 Holmsdale Gardens, Hastings Sussex where he is given as born 1876 Hastings and living with his parents William and Phoebe and five siblings and 3 servants. His father at that time was a draper employing 50 people.

Cant find any other census record for him-can you help?

Not sure if he ever married or not but a family tree says Frederick married March 1,1923 Dorothy Mary Durne at St Clement Danes, Middlesex and that they had 3 children namely (1) Stephen M.F. born May 9,1928 in Hastings,Sussex (2) and a second child born Aug 8,1930 who died in 2008. Dorothy Mary Durne (1894-1964) was one of 4 children born to George Durne(1838-1904) and Hannah Dick Dulgetty Thomson (1856-1948). The tree says Dorothy died Aug 10,1964 at Blackheath,Kent.

I also fund a marriage for a Frederick G. Plummer to Florence M. Bean in the 3rd qtr 1920 at Hastings,Sussex.

Can someone determine if Frederick was married and give details along with any children. Also can someone find a probate record for him for T.Wells death April 25.1953. I forgot to check for his burial record so I will report back on what I find. I don't have access to T.Wells newspapers and so perhaps someone can find an article about his death.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick George Plummer of Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
No burial record found in T.Wells for Frederick at the T.Wells Borough Cemetery or at the Kent & Sussex Crematorium so can someone find out where and when he was buried?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
Also can someone find a probate record for him for T.Wells death April 25.1953.

The probate index is free to search  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all, who is the as transcribed Frederick A Plummer aged 27 b Hastings with sister Amy G b 1867 Tunbridge in 1901?
RG13/794/54/1
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 15:51 BST (UK) »
There are two marriages in the Times which took place in TW 1946 & 1950 for daughters of a Frederick Plummer of Hadley, Culverden Down, TW - looking at possible birth records for these daughters mothers maiden name is DurnO (born 1924 & 1926)

Freebmd has 6 possible children of this marriage  ;)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all, who is the as transcribed Frederick A Plummer aged 27 b Hastings with sister Amy G b 1867 Tunbridge in 1901?
RG13/794/54/1
Keyboard86

1871 census has Amy with parents William & Phoebe  :)
RG10/1032 f5 p3

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
According to a bankruptcy notice for someone else Frederick Plummer sold his business at 16 High Street, Canterbury in January 1902

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
To Rosie 99...........I already checked the probate website-he is not listed. No probate for him on Ancestry UK either, which is where I started my search. Anyone have access to the K&S Courier newspaper for the time he died. Must be something in the newspaper useful.

The 1871 and 1901 census information does pertain to Frederick G. Plummer. Amy Plummer was Fredericks sister and daughter of William Plummer. She was born 1869 and died 1930. So the 1901 census for Frederick "A" Plummer is actually for Frederick "G" Plummer.

Not clear on who Fredericks wife was or his children-can someone clarify this please, Seems from the replies that there are several possibilities but nothing certain yet or have I missed something ?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
To Rosie 99...........I already checked the probate website-he is not listed. No probate for him on Ancestry UK either, which is where I started my search. Anyone have access to the K&S Courier newspaper for the time he died. Must be something in the newspaper useful.

As he is not listed then it is likely that there was no probate.  Online newspapers do not appear to go past 1950.