Author Topic: Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest  (Read 5593 times)

Offline parkerbirch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Looking for birth, marriage and death records (and relatives) for Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest. Patrick was killed in a motorbike accident in 1957 in Ireland when he was 45. At the time (or a year or so before his death) he was parish priest of a church in Balanafad Southern Ireland and was educated at Monouth College, Ireland. He had an older brother John (who lived in north London for a while probably in the forties), a younger brother (Brendan?) and two sisters. One was known as (Kit, or Keat), Kathleen or Catherine may have been her real name and the other sister was called Mary? The family came from Newbridge County Galway. I believe the father was a magistrate and also, the daughter Kit was married to a Czechoslovakian (apparently he worked for the intelligence service presumably the British or Czech one). PJ Crehan served as a priest in Lewisham, London, England (St, Saviour’s church) during World War 2 and returned to Ireland around 1946.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
www.registers.nli.ie Baptism/marriage records online Free to search. You would need to check what years your Parish in Co Galway covers
Looking for birth, marriage and death records (and relatives) for Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest. Patrick was killed in a motorbike accident in 1957 in Ireland when he was 45. At the time (or a year or so before his death) he was parish priest of a church in Balanafad Southern Ireland and was educated at Monouth College, Ireland. He had an older brother John (who lived in north London for a while probably in the forties), a younger brother (Brendan?) and two sisters. One was known as (Kit, or Keat), Kathleen or Catherine may have been her real name and the other sister was called Mary? The family came from Newbridge County Galway. I believe the father was a magistrate and also, the daughter Kit was married to a Czechoslovakian (apparently he worked for the intelligence service presumably the British or Czech one). PJ Crehan served as a priest in Lewisham, London, England (St, Saviour’s church) during World War 2 and returned to Ireland around 1946.

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

Also free Ireland Civil Registration indexes -
 commences 1864 for births and goes up to 1958

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
There are several places called Ballinafad, I wonder if he could have been in the Sligo one, the only death I can find is http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/2f20c36915483
Patrick Crehan 1958 Sligo age 45.
Listed as Patrick J Crehan on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FTR6-4J7

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Is this a personnel inquiry regarding you own family history ???

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though the details in your original post here are from someone not familiar with Ireland?

Looking for birth, marriage and death records (and relatives) for Patrick J Crehan, Roman Catholic Priest. Patrick was killed in a motorbike accident in 1957 in Ireland when he was 45. At the time (or a year or so before his death) he was parish priest of a church in Balanafad Southern Ireland and was educated at Monouth College, Ireland.

'Monouth College, Ireland' is Maynooth which is Ireland's main Roman Catholic Seminary-
https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/

If Patrick was still a priest when he died then there's hardly likely to be a marriage record for him.

The latest available Irish census is 1911 so you could try looking for the family there-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
Crehan is a very common name in the Newbridge area of Co. Galway with several interlinked families

I do however believe that Fr. Patrick Crehan was the son of Matthew CREHAN and Catherine HYNES
Link to 1911 census

Full family as far as I am aware
Dec 03 1907 Mary
Mar 10 1910 Bridget
Mar 16 1912 Patrick
May19 1914 Catherine
Aug 26 1916 John
Apr 01 1920 Brian

Katherine CREHAN m Rudolf DRBOHLAV in 1943
Q2 V1a P337 in Kensington District, London
Rudolf, of 88 Sunningfields Road, Hendon, died on Nov 8 1952
Katherine, his widow was granted probate - I do not see a death for her

There are two family trees online with various details of this family if contact is required to living relatives
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
I was just thinking Matthew and co. looked the most promising family,
I can't see the original on my iPad and the Text is hard to follow but I think Matthew is listed here among the Peace Commissioners etc. 1930
http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/2023822/gv4_nbl_lh_nbl_show5_php_id_026146.html

Offline parkerbirch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all replies so far, which have been really very helpful. I am starting with the 1958 death cert on Familysearch - which seems the most promising and almost matches the information I have been given. I am enquiring on behalf of a friend. parkerbirch.