Author Topic: John Legg, b Guernsey - marriage in Totnes (or Exeter)?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline RMfrance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Private individual doing some family research.
    • View Profile
John Legg, b Guernsey - marriage in Totnes (or Exeter)?
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find details of my 2nd great grandmother, named Elizabeth [surname currently unkown], who married John Legg, b St Peter Port, Guernsey c 1828.
1851 census records show them living in Guernsey, but Elizabeth is stated has having been born in 'Tottnes', Devon. I can't trace a marriage record there c1848 so I assume that the marriage might have taken place in or near Totnes - perhaps Exeter.
If I can find her family name then I can begin to race her parents, etc.
Many thanks in advance for any help with resolving this.
RM
Bennett, Harris, King, Krakofsky, Legg, Mansfield, Miffling, Moss, Popham, Self, Selfe

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
Re: John Legg, b Guernsey - marriage in Totnes (or Exeter)?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
A John Legg married an Elizabeth Miffling 2 Jan 1848, Exeter, St John. Elizabeth's father was called John. If you have access to FindMyPast you can download the certificate from the church in which they were married.
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
And easily found through FreeBMD?!

Marriages, March qtr 1848
Exeter Registration District     vol 10, page 153

Legg, John
+ and on the same page +
Miffling, Elizabeth

It's the only marriage in Devon, 1847-1849 of a John Legg to an Elizabeth ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline RMfrance

• RootsChat Extra
  • Private individual doing some family research.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these rapid responses - I'll admit that the marriage listing threw me, but I think I now have a better grasp of how to interpret what I'm seeing (said the newbie..).

I've found a reference to her name at www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_people/exwickwoolworkers.php, but the timing is wrong (by then she would have been around 31 years of age), so I can only assume that this might be a niece. Forenames do seem run in families, or at least in mine!

The challenge now is to find her parent's names. Perhaps I'll find something by searching for the EM listed above, with the appropriate date of birth. One thing I have learnt is that family research involves quite a bit of lateral thinking.

RM
Bennett, Harris, King, Krakofsky, Legg, Mansfield, Miffling, Moss, Popham, Self, Selfe