Author Topic: Building History  (Read 4998 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Building History
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
Ron,

I have sent you PM with my email.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
Further to Monica's reply re-Register of Sasines, here is their address index pre 1959 for Dalhougal. The number on the right denotes the property search sheet number for each property, which I could obtain. PM me if you need any further help.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Josey,
Thank you very much for your kind offer I am sure the search sheet would increase my knowledge even further.
My PM is ron8ken@gmail.com
Ron

Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the 1860 OS map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/74941084?

Josey
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 September 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Again many thanks Josey. The house is marked on there, do you know where I would go to find the Key that explains the colours and the numbers on the maps.
Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 September 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
If it wasn't for the Saw Mill being red, I would say residential property in red & industrial [edit: non-residential] in grey.  The numbers are enclosure [field] numbers. They were changed later to another series of enclosure numbers & the areas included [imperial acres] on the 25 inch to the mile series OS maps. You can see this in 1896 at http://maps.nls.uk/view/82875546. You could email maps at [replace with @] nls.uk  they are extremely helpful & knowledgeable people there.

The lease of 1814 was 4 acres 2 roods 30 falls 7 ells. These would most likely have been Scots acres, about 1¼ Imperial acres; there were 4 roods to an acre, 40 falls to a rood, 36 ells to a fall. I suspect, seeing the lease was bound partly west by the road to Drymen & partly south by the burn, that the lease was enclosures 783, 784 & 785.

Josey

ADDED: having looked at the 1896, enclosure 785 is now 657 area 4.742 acres & 783 now 656 area 0.498 acres, so the lease would not have included the 1860 enclosure 783.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 September 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
You are so helpful Josey thank you.
The actual house(s) I am interested in are across the road from the area described and are within enclosure numbers 779 and 780. I think that the red one (780) may have been the original and 779 a very large later extension.
The address index you sent is also interesting as I am not aware of any Muirhead being involved in either the sawmill business or the land and the person who owned the mill business was an Edmond and that name is hand written on to the index under Proprieters' Names.
Frustrating and fascinating.

Ron

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 September 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see. All in new enclosure 651. The grey 'extension' has disappeared by 1896. It may have been a barn. I'll see what I can find.

Josey

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 September 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
How good are you! Well done.
I am pretty sure that the large grey one within 782 was a timber drying shed which was made of  wood and all the red ones are stone built.
Where did you find enclosure 651?

Ron