Author Topic: Cast a look over my brick wall for me?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Cast a look over my brick wall for me?
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if s k s would have a look at the remaining brick wall I have with my Cork(e)/Cooley travelling family in Kent/Surrey, and make any other suggestions about following up?

I have Elizabeth Cork(e), born c 1859 in Seal, Kent.
I believe her birth ref shows her born in the first quarter of 1859, registered in Sevenoaks, which is close to Seal.
However, I don't have her baptism record, although in general all her siblings were baptised.

If you are looking out for her, note that she has a sister Eliza, born 1853, who married Amos Haymon.

Elizabeth, my greatx3 aunt, was the daughter of Richard Corke (1812 Stone Kent) and Jane Cooley (1815 Chertsey, Surrey).  Both her parents were 'travellers' or 'travelled in work'

However, by the mid 1850's I believe they had settled in Seal, Kent as their last four children were born and baptised there (except as I note above, I can't see Elizabeth's baptism either on Familysearch or Ancestry).

I have Elizabeth in the 1861 in Seal, with her father and many of her siblings, and in the 1871 after the death of her mother Jane, where she is with her father and some siblings, and her brother Daniel and his family next door.  I have been able to follow (with some interest, fascinating family!) all of the other siblings.

Then after 1871 I can't track Elizabeth down except for a possible sighting in the 1891 where there is an Elizabeth FOX, with husband Henry, a hawker, (1858, Burstow, Surrey) in tents close to Godstone. The birthdate and place of birth for Elizabeth, showing as Seal, is correct, and the occupation 'hawker' all seem to hang together with her family history.

I can't find a marriage between them, but Elizabeth's parents didn't seem to have married, so I'm not too surprised.
I can't see a possible Elizabeth, born Seal, in either the 1881 or any censuses after the 1891.
I can't find Henry Fox, or any men of the right age born in Burstow, Surrey, in any other censuses.

In the 1891 they have a lodger called James Winton with them - and I can't see him anywhere else either.

She may be living with someone else, but if so I can't see her with Seal as a birthplace in other censuses, she may have died under another name.

Any other thoughts how I could search?  Anything I've missed?

Just to advise, I do have most of the details about the other Corke/Cooley family, through the censuses (although if anyone can find them in the 1851 do tell me).  There have also been a couple of long threads on this board regarding them, but this enquiry re Elizabeth doesn't need you to plough through all of those.  Great help from the board on this family, untangling them  ;D

Thought I'd have another go with Elizabeth!

Thank you for reading.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Westfrem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cast a look over my brick wall for me?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a death record for an Elizabeth Cork born  abt1858 died Oct 1876 Malling. Malling being a bordering registration district to Sevenoaks. Worth ruling out?  :)
West - Oxfordshire & Kent
Hucks - Kent
Fremlin - Kent & worldwide

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Cast a look over my brick wall for me?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. You are right perhaps I should try and investigate if only to rule out

I was quite fond of the 1891 potential sighting but could of course be quite wrong  ::)
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex