Author Topic: Joseph Bowker born about 1795 possibly Bollington  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Joseph Bowker born about 1795 possibly Bollington
« on: Tuesday 15 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there are any super-sleuths out there who may be able to find the baptism of a Joseph Bowker who was apparantly born about 1795, maybe in Bollington.

Known facts

1. Joseph married for the first time in 1819 at Manchester Parish Church to Jane Chester.
2. He was a Shoemaker.
3. By 1820 the couple were in Dunham, where several children were born -- the first son was named William. (All except one of the children from this first marriage sadly died in infancy/childhood)
4. By 1846 he was in Altrincham with his second wife - and remained in that town.
5. Birth place on census records given as Altrincham in 1851 - but Bollington in 1861 and 1871.
6. Joseph died in 1871 - aged 76 (hence birth year c 1795)
7. A grave register shows that he is buried at Bowdon with, amongst others -- a William Bowker who died in 1811 and was a Manufacturer from Manchester. This William Bowker had purchased the grave. (William also left a Will - the abstract shows that the beneficiaries were his children Thomas Bowker and Hannah Redford.

So Joseph is buried with this William Bowker in Bowdon - he names his first child William - but is not named in the Will abstract of William Bowker, d 1811 -- as a beneficiary.

Try as I might - I cannot find a baptism for Joseph around 1795 in or around Bollington/Altrincham/Dunham/Manchester.

Can any kind person see something I might be missing please?

Many thanks for at least reading this.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Bowker born about 1795 possibly Bollington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
By 1846 he was in Altrincham with his second wife - and remained in that town.

Did he re-marry after 1837?  If yes - his marriage cert will give his fathers name and occupation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Good thought -- but he was having children with his second wife by 1834 - baptisms at Bowdon.

Second wife was Mary Ann -- but I haven't found that marriage. However I have sent for a birth cert of a child born after 1837 -- to obtain Mary Ann's maiden name.

I was hoping to find that marriage by searching with her surname! Maybe this marriage WILL show father's name - I hadn't actually thought of that (I don't know off hand when the fathers names started being shown on the parish marriage records - so your idea might well work. (I should have waited till I received the birth cert shouldn't I ---- just too impatient, because I'm stuck!)

Thank you Carole.
Places of interest;

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately - if they married before 1.7.1837 fathers names will not be shown.  However - if the second Mary Ann was a widow, the childs birth cert (hopefully) should show her original maiden name. 

(That may not help with a marriage find as she will have married under her prev married name)

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Altrincham in 1851 - but Bollington

Hello

Is this likely to be the Bollington just below Altrincham on the A560 as opposed to the Bollington at Macclesfield?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Carole. I don't think the second wife will be a widow (famous last words!) --- she was much younger than Joseph Bowker and must have been born about 1819 (from her age at death).

They began having children in 1834 --- so if they married in 1833 she would have been about 24.
You never know though.

This family are really getting on my nerves --- they have 2 'daughters' named Sarah Bowker on the 1851 census -- one shown as 32 years old and one aged 7. Can't find a baptism/likely birth for the 7 year old either. As for the 32 year old ---- !

Elzabels -- I don't know which Bollington, but I imagine it's the one closest to Dunham/Bowdon/Altrincham.
Baptisms and Burials took place at Bowdon.

We'll see what the birth cert brings regarding Mary Ann's maiden name.

I might be back..........!
Places of interest;

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
Having found the census returns where Joseph BOWKER lives in Chapel Walks I think it is more likely to be the Altrincham based Bollington.

Have you discounted the Bowden marriage dated 14 Feb 1832 between Joseph BOWKER & Anne WATKINSON ( on familysearch) as far as I am aware the PR's are at Chester RO, they may do a scan & email for minimal cost.

When familysearch select a Church to digitalise, they donot start at the beginning and work through, they try to give a spread of years so it may well be that the 'missing children's' baptismal records are still awaiting the scan!

Just spotted some of Bowden records are ancestry but these are the Bishops Transcript's ( BT's) so like all records have limited info & could be prone to transcription errors

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
... as far as I am aware the PR's are at Chester RO, they may do a scan & email for minimal cost.

FamilySearch indexed the Cheshire PRs and BTs under contract to Cheshire RO. The images are a/v on FindMyPast. Bowdon seems to be complete in that era.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 23:13 BST (UK) »

she was much younger than Joseph Bowker and must have been born about 1819 (from her age at death).

They began having children in 1834 --- so if they married in 1833 she would have been about 24.

1833 - 1819 = 14yrs old so I think not  ;D

I also wondered about the 2 Sarah's on the 1851 - both shown as daughters.  One was born in 1843 as per freebmd and www.cheshirebmd.org.uk but I can't see a registration for the 13mth old Sarah