Author Topic: Peter McKinnon b c 1770 in Strath  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Gods army

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter McKinnon b c 1770 in Strath
« on: Sunday 20 September 15 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone can help. I have in my family a Peter McKinnon living in Inverness (Moss Farr) in 1841 and 1851. (His grandson Robert Smith is also there). Am having trouble trying to trace a baptism for him (and for Robert b c 1837 in Inverness).
Peter was born in Strath which I believe is on the Isle of Skye. Has anyone got them in their family tree?

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Peter McKinnon b c 1770 in Strath
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
I don't see any surviving baptismal records for Strath before 1815.  The 1841 census says he was a soldier.  Might have luck with military records.  I don't have access to them but someone who does may look them up for you.  With that d.o.b. he should have fought in the Napoleonic Wars, maybe even at Waterloo!

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is your Peter but to access the full details it is pay to view.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8826907
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Someone on Ancestry seems to have dates etc but you have to pay to access these details.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire

Offline Gods army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is your Peter but to access the full details it is pay to view.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8826907

The dates do fit 😃That was 1815 and says he was 44, gives a description too. Thank you :)

Offline Gods army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
I don't see any surviving baptismal records for Strath before 1815.  The 1841 census says he was a soldier.  Might have luck with military records.  I don't have access to them but someone who does may look them up for you.  With that d.o.b. he should have fought in the Napoleonic Wars, maybe even at Waterloo!

According to familysearch there weren't any before 1855 anyway, I didn't think there would be.
I'll take a look and see what I can find military wise

Offline Gods army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Someone on Ancestry seems to have dates etc but you have to pay to access these details.
I can't afford ancestry :( am only using FindMyPast for the free weekend

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 September 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
On Scotland's People it seems that Strath only has births and marriages between these dates.

119. STRATH
119/1 BIRTHS 1815-54 M 1823-54 D -

Not sure why Robert and Elizabeth Smith's records aren't showing as, if they were born in Inverness, the Inverness records are there for their baptism dates. Perhaps they belonged to a non-conformist church or weren't baptised.
This is the link to the Old Parish Records. It's a useful guide to look up the availability of records.
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers

Offline Gods army

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
On Scotland's People it seems that Strath only has births and marriages between these dates.

119. STRATH
119/1 BIRTHS 1815-54 M 1823-54 D -

Not sure why Robert and Elizabeth Smith's records aren't showing as, if they were born in Inverness, the Inverness records are there for their baptism dates. Perhaps they belonged to a non-conformist church or weren't baptised.
This is the link to the Old Parish Records. It's a useful guide to look up the availability of records.
http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers
It is a strange one. I think a lady called Margaret McKinnon may have been their mother, but I'm really unsure. I must question why my grandad's side of the family are this well hidden. It's happened on the Beal side too.