Author Topic: Park Place, Port Glasgow - Please help with Location  (Read 1473 times)

Offline waverley60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Park Place, Port Glasgow - Please help with Location
« on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
I do hope someone can help - I cannot locate Park Place, Port Glasgow where my father was born 25.09.1914  – I e-mailed Port Glasgow Library to see if they could assist – pleased at the fast e-mail response(incidentally Port Glasgow Library is now housed in the Old Town Hall Building) – they were able to tell me that Park Place was on Glen Avenue – but they cannot say where on Glen Avenue.  I recall my father saying he went to Jean Street School (primary) – that is definitely on Glen Avenue – (and now converted to private flats).  I have tried NLS historic OS mapping http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426623 and Scotlands Places http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/ but no joy.  I will be visiting Greenock and the Watt Library in 2016 - so I'd be pleased to do anything while there to help any other member

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Park Place, Port Glasgow - Please help with Location
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
All I can add it was a block of ten #10-20 totally 80 units from the Valuations.  I see there are some photos on Glen Ave and a youtube video of before and after of Glen Ave but nothing to identify which building it would be. 

The keeper of the engineering drawings for sanitary/water will have identified the building on a street map but I have no idea who would hold those.

Best of luck.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline waverley60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Park Place, Port Glasgow - Please help with Location
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this DonM - Guess I'll spend some time at the Watt Library next year!