Author Topic: Can anyone give a date opinion of my Great Grandmother  (Read 1787 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Can anyone give a date opinion of my Great Grandmother
« on: Sunday 20 September 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

This is a picture which I have recently obtained of my great grandmother.  She was born in 1882.

I am told that she was 39 years old when this picture was taken.  My view is that she looks younger than that. (She had a very hard life).

I would appreciate anyone's dating thoughts from the clothes etc or simply from their opinion.

The picture was sent over the internet so I do not have the original.

If anyone wants to try a restore, they are very welcome as I hate doing my own ancestors.  :)

Many Thanks
Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone give a date opinion of my Great Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve...I would have said the war years...her suit has that kind of Suffragette look...shame there isn't more to see.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve

If your Great grandmother was 39 in the photo then it would have been taken in 1921. I think it was earlier than that. Pre WW1 by the style of hat. Around 1912 ish. Possibly she could have been 29 not 39.

Regards]

AJ

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
A clean for your Great Grandma Steve.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
Take two  :D
Carol

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the restores Carol (lovely as usual).

Thank you to both of you for your thoughts on her age.  It confirms my thoughts.

Kind Regards
Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 15 19:00 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Steve....Did her Husband go to war?....I just wondered because of the brooch she is wearing.
Carol

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Her husband joined up on the 3rd of June 1916 first with the Devonshire Regiment and then with the Borders Regiment.  He was attached to the RAMC and luckily returned.  He was demobbed on the 21st of November 1919.

Do you have any idea what the brooch may be Carol?

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
I can't make out the details but it reminds me of the broach that my grandmother had in the form of my grandfather's regimental badge.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex