Author Topic: Fenemore of Pankhurst Ave,Brighton,Sussex  (Read 2011 times)

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fenemore of Pankhurst Ave,Brighton,Sussex
« on: Sunday 20 September 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Lookup please,I am looking to see who lived at 28 Pankhurst Ave,Brighton,Sussex.I know Harry Fenemore lived there b1881 d1967.If anyone could look in the library for me at the electoral rolls to see who resided  there with him it would be much appreciated.Many thanks

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fenemore of Pankhurst Ave,Brighton,Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
If it is the correct person then presumably his wife, Dorothy, lived there for some of the time?   They married in 1913.   His war service shows their address as 11 Redcross Street, Brighton.  It shows a date of birth as 21.5.82 though so maybe not the right Harry?

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou it is the right one,I don't think Dorothy lived there as she ended up in Lancashire.Harry and Dorothy did indeed marry in 1913, I cant  find evidence of a divorce,but they were not together for many years.It was C E Fenemore who registered the death of Harry Fenemore residing at Pankhurst Ave,really what I'm trying to find out if my fathers eldest brother Harry L Fenemore lived with my grandfather at any time in Pankhurst Ave.He was born in 1914 at the time of living in Redcross St.I don't know if C E Fenemore was common law wife or if any relation at all.I was hoping the electoral rolls would help!

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 08:21 BST (UK) »
Is it "present at the death" or "in attendance"?   There are a surprising number of Fenemores in Brighton.

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 09:39 BST (UK) »
Good morning sillgen,I've just had a look at the death cert it,it says signature,description and residence of informant,C E Fenemore.I don't know whether this helps but Harry Fenemore senior was a carpenter and worked for British Railways.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
It might be worth contacting The Keep - the archives office just outside Brighton.   They may hold electoral rolls.   Otherwise your only hope is to do an extended tree and see who is on it.   There are some trees on Ancestry but they may not be accurate.   Using www.freebmd.org.uk you get lots of Fenemore entries but I can't see one for a C E Fenemore.   If it was a common law wife that does make it even more difficult!
Did Harry leave a will?   That might help.

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Your right about C E Fenemore it's difficult enough without a first name but I suspect she was a common law wife.I don't know whether or not a will was left,he was my grandfather but I never met him,quite sad really.I was told that the first born Harry Lionel(he was the eldest of three children,my dad being the youngest)was left on a doorstep which I find very hard to believe.I have spoken to Harry Lionel's daughter and she remembers being taken to visit her grandfather Harry Fenemore in Brighton,so I'm thinking for whatever reason Harry L was brought up by his dad and my grandmother who had died in 1948 brought up Leonard and Kathleen.I remember my dad telling me he had a brother who he didn't remember,but Harry L didn't know he had a brother and sister.By coincidence all three males were in the Royal Navy,the two brothers serving at the same time.I will try The Keep,othanks for your help.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Harry L Fenemore appears to be a railway worker in Lancing in the 1930s.

Offline AnFear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Oh!where did you find that?