Author Topic: James Tainsh photograph  (Read 2992 times)

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tainsh photograph
« on: Wednesday 23 September 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  I wonder if anyone can help me here.  I am trying to reunite a photograph with its family.

I have a small photograph of a man in soldier's uniform and on the back it says James Tainsh, died in the war.  This man was a friend of my grandfather.

Scotland's people has a James R Tainsh died on 23 September 1915 in France and he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial. 

I found a birth of James Robertson Tainsh in 1886 and a marriage in 1909 in Edinburgh to a Mary S Russell.  I presume that this James Tainsh is the same person, and wonder if there are any of the family around who may like to have the photograph.  Of course, they may already have photographs of him, but I don't want to discard it without trying to give it to them.
Thanks. Janice

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Tainsh photograph
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

There are 2 deaths for a J. Tainsh in WW1 -
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1

No further information on James R Tainsh although it does give his service number as 9867.

Can you post the photograph ?

The experts on here might be able to identify the uniform  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
There is a service record for a James Robertson Tainsh born c1896(?) , event date 1915 , born Edinburgh , Midlothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
To add a little more to Ev's info, James Robertson Tainish looks to have joined the army on 12/09 1903. He looks to have been in the army right up to the time of his death in 1915. His marriage cert will include his profession, as additional confirmation of rank and regiment (at the time of his marriage). From records at the time of his death, he is showing as Corporal, 2nd Battalion, Highland Light Regiment.

I think, from the notes on these service papers, that his widow, Mary S(mith?) Russell went on to remarry to a Cameron. She shows as being in receipt of commemorative medals and personal possession for James in 1919 and 1922.

From his pension papers, there looks to have been three children from the marriage. Unfortunately, part of these records seem to have suffered from fire damage (many service records destroyed later in the bombing of archives in WW2).  The section with children's names and birth details suffered from this damage unfortunately...

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janwbay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone.  This is the photograph, I'm sorry it is so small.  The record says that he was in the HLI.

My grandpa was in the Royal Scots when discharged and I think he was in the Argylls before that as I have a cap badge and a piece of tartan from the Argylls. He would have met him in the war, as my grandfather was from Glasgow and James Tainsh was from Edinburgh, and their paths wouldn't have crossed otherwise.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Very likely you would think that they met through their war activities.

Sad  :-\  One of James and Mary's sons died in WW2 www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2452223/TAINSH,%20ROBERT%20RUSSELL

Monica

PS: Photo is great size, don't worry about that.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
 www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2452223/TAINSH,%20ROBERT%20RUSSELL ....son Robert's death age must be wrong?

James died in 1915. His son Robert showing as aged 25 in 1944  ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
janwbay, such a great thing you are trying to do here...

Just in case the direct line to James' direct line of descendants  does not bring info up, this is his family. Maybe other links can come from that. From 1901, just a couple of years before he joined up with the army:

Robert Tainsh 48 Assistant Superentendant Postal Sellgraph b.  Cohins of Milton, Stirlingshire (not a great transcript for clarity  :-\).
Margaret B Tainsh 44 b. Edinburgh
John H Tainsh 20
Jessie G Tainsh 18
Robert Tainsh 17
James R Tainsh 14 Clerk Apprentice (he showed as a clerk on his enlistment papers) b. Edinburgh
Edward F Tainsh 11
Charles S D Tainsh 9

Address: 322 Morningside Road, Newington/Edinburgh (this address also shows on army papers).

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
There is an online tree here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/12047075/person/-258185395?ssrc= (available to view via a/try on a subscription basis only). This is for the family line of James and his parents (Robert Tainsh and Margaret Robertson).

1891 here:

Robert Tainsh 38 Girl Service (Telegraphist) - I know, you can make up these transcripts  :P
Margaret B Tainsh 34
John H Tainsh 10
Jessie G Tainsh 8
Robert Tainsh 7
James R Tainsh 4
Edmand F Tainsh 1
Margaret B Robertson 80 mother in law

Address: 24 Balcarres St (this street also comes up on James' army papers) , Newington/Edinburgh

Monica