Author Topic: Is Mary and Martha the same person?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mary and Martha the same person?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who has answered. I may pop along to the record office to double check my original notes. It is a stones throw from me and i haven't actually been to the new one yet. I am thinking that the mum is Martha and somewhere it has been transcribed down wrong, possibly by me  ;D
Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mary and Martha the same person?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 16:19 BST (UK) »
I am thinking that the mum is Martha and somewhere it has been transcribed down wrong, possibly by me

I found it on Ancestry as mother Mary but that was transcribed, so maybe mistake on original record.
I did come across one register where a lot of spaces were left for mother's name on a baptism record. Some had been filled in later - different pen, darker ink, short names written large to fill space, long names squeezed so it was obvious a later addition. I don't know whether this meant that the father had brought baby to be baptised when a few days old and mum wasn't there because she was still recovering from the birth. I think it was probably a Dorset register, most of my rellies pre 1837 were from there.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott