Author Topic: What became this Bishopstoke Station Master?  (Read 2155 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What became this Bishopstoke Station Master?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 November 15 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I think this might be him in the 1851 census transcribed as John Lauth b 1842 BPS Stoke address looks like  Trafalger House School Winchester aged 9 ..
His marriage September 1895 St Stephens Paddington to Helene Margarette Strousbergage 31 her father was Bethiel Strousberg Railway Contractor deceased ..
He died 2/10/1915 Berlin Germany probate record for him also left substantial amount
Rosie

Offline Molloyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Rosie,
                  There was a Trafalgar House School in Winchester. It merged with Peter Symonds in 1913.

Dan

Offline Bradenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 November 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I have researched John Spikings Louth for a long time as his son John William Louth married Bethel Strousberg's daughter Helene.  John Spikings Louth worked in Flensburg and when he returned to England he was involved with the Cornwall Minerals Railway.  John Spikings Louth worked with Samuel Peto and Brassey.  Look up these important people and you will see how John Spikings Louth became quite an important man.   Yes, he did have two sons, John William and Walpole.  If you would like more info please let me know.  How are you connected?   

Offline Molloyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bradenton,
                   My name is Dan Molloy, and I volunteer at Eastleigh Museum.

In my capacity as researcher, I came across the obituary of Henry Willmer, the station master who took over from J S Louth. In it, was stated that Willmer replaced a John Spikens as Bishopstoke (now Eastleigh) station superintendant.

Further research in the archives of the local history society revealed his name as John Spikens Louth.

As he was the first Bishopstoke station master, I thought he'd make an ideal subject for a history Society paper. He has proved to be a very interesting man.

Offline Bradenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I am still researching John Spikings Louth and if you come across any info on how he met Samuel Peto I would be interested.  With Peto being the MP for Norwich and John Louth moving there for three years it would seem likely that this is where they met.  Then Peto and Louth and Robert Charles Preston went to Flensburg to build the railway as you know.  I know Louth and Preston were there for many years and then Louth and Preston set up the Cornwall Minerals Railway and subsequently the Travers Asphalte Company which became the Neuchatel Asphalte Company and run by his sons John William Louth and Walpole Louth.  I am trying to find out where Preston went after 1865 and the time he arrived back in England with his family in 1871.  Regards Jo

Offline Molloyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,
        As yet, the name Charles Preston has not even entered my research.

I know little about JSL's time in Flensburg other than what was printed in contemporary newspaper reports.

There are a few documents online in both Danish and German and I have put the odd paragraph through a translation engine, but I've learnt nothing of great consequence. Oh, in one German article he is referred to as Peto's deputy. How accurate that is, I don't know.

Frustratingly, a googling of J S Louth, reveals that there is a document online about JSL's time in Flensburg, but it's only available to A******y members. Doh!

I'll PM you with my email address.

Dan

Offline Molloyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What became of this Bishopstoke Station Master?
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 November 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Can anyone tell me where John S and Monimia Louth were during the 1841 census please?

Dan

Offline Bradenton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 November 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
On the 1841 Census John and Martha were at the Andover Road Station.  John was the railway agent.

Offline Molloyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What became of this Bishopstoke Station Master?
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
cheers Jo