Author Topic: Assurance Assitant Superintendant  (Read 2131 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assurance Assitant Superintendant
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 September 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
A superintendent, district; superintendent of agents; supervises the work of insurance agents, usually life or industrial, in a particular town or district; conducts special negotiations; deals with local complaints, etc. "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
CarolA3 posted a reply to a similar question a while back

The first insurance company I worked for (1970s) still used the title 'Superintendent' for heads of departments within the branch.  Next step up was 'Chief Clerk', then 'Branch Manager'.

Your chap would have been in charge of clerks and/or agents dealing with life insurance.  Depending on the size of the business, he might also have been responsible for settling claims.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=627515.0
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Am I allowed to get pedantic here?! ;D ::)

It's Life Assurance - an assurance against something that WILL happen; i.e. death.

Other kinds are Insurance - against things which MIGHT happen. i.e floods, car accident, burglary, etc.

It was drummed into me when I first started work for a Life Assurance Company ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
From the OED
Babbage in 1826 (see quot.) proposed to restrict insurance to risks to property, and assurance to life insurance. This has been followed so far that assurance is now rarely used of marine, fire, or accident insurance, and is retained in Great Britain in the nomenclature and use of the majority of life insurance companies. But in general popular use, insurance is the prevalent term.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 October 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Am I allowed to get pedantic here?! ;D ::)

It's Life Assurance - an assurance against something that WILL happen; i.e. death.

Other kinds are Insurance - against things which MIGHT happen. i.e floods, car accident, burglary, etc.

It was drummed into me when I first started work for a Life Assurance Company ;D ;D

Yes Kevin, that pearl of pedantic wisdom was drummed into me too during my early years in the Insurance industry.  However the rest of the world has never taken much notice of such arcane distinctions so, with a heavy heart, I have learned to live with the burden of being the only person in the pub to get it right ::)

I do still wince slightly at the tautologous 'Fully Comprehensive' but no-one else seems to care these days :o

Anyway, it was gratifying to see my words from another thread quoted here.  Thank you bearcat for the mention - my brief moment of glory :-*

Carol (enjoying a reliable internet signal today; a rare thing in these parts)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch