Author Topic: Alice Leak 1853-1878  (Read 6901 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Alice Leak 1853-1878
« on: Tuesday 29 September 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
William Leak's first marriage was to Anne Davidson. They had a daughter, Alice Leak, born 1853 at Pocklington, died 1878 Pocklington. I notice FreeCen has yet to transcribe the 1861 and 1871 Pocklington returns - please could somebody look up the 1861 and 1871 Census for Pocklington to advise about Alice Leak?
There is another Alice at a different location in East Yorkshire, and she is described there as the granddaughter; so am checking if the Alice I seek is the same or different.
with thanks
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Leak 1853-1878
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've had a search for Alice Lake b Pocklington and couldn't find anything but of course that may be me or she may be mistranscribed.

However, there is an Alice Lake from the 1861 who is a granddaughter to Hannah Lake living in & born in Bolton (which is in the Pocklington sub-registration district) but b c1858. Is this the entry you meant?

If so she would appear to be still with her grandmother Hannah in 1871 but they are living with her uncle and aunt:

James Cook 25 Head
Rebecca Cook 32
James Cook 2
Thomas Cook 1
Hannah Lake 68
Alice Lake 13

They are living in Bishop Wilton which is also in the Pocklington distrct. If this looks a possibility I can send full details.

Brie

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
William Leak's first marriage was to Anne Davidson. They had a daughter, Alice Leak, born 1853 at Pocklington, died 1878 Pocklington.

Your dates don't look quite right.

William Leak & Ann Davison appear on the same page of marriages, Jun qtr 1853 Pocklington.

A few more details here - both fathers were John: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NVX7-NKD

Then there is a birth of Alice Leak, Sep qtr 1857 Pocklington

...and a death of Alice Leak aged 21, Sep qtr 1878 Pocklington.

Bear in mind that Pocklington in all these entries refers to the registration district rather than simply the town - see here for its extent: www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/pocklington.html
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Brie, not sure about Lake - never seen that form of the name in any other context, always Leak, sometimes with Leake; once as Peak and one as Leal(e).
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks avm228; yes that marriage to Davison looks to be the one, the couple needed to marry in a bit of a hurry, but my other research says William's father was William of Clayfield farm and Lowfield farm died 1846, while Anne Davison's father was John. Thanks for the tip re the registration district not the town.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
I see the conflicting dates in Family search etc; I appreciate that issue - is Alice in the 1861 Census at all? or the 1871 Census? with William and Anne? Checking to see if she was at Lowfield farm or Clayfield farm. Many thanks.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I realise that I didn't mention that Ancestry have transcribed Alice and her grandmother as Lake -on the original manifest it is clearly Leake. They are living at the Village Farm House, Bishop Wilton

Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I can't see an Alice with parents William and Ann. There is more than one William and Ann Leak as a couple in Yorkshire but not at the farms you have mentioned. Do you have any other information about either of them such as year of birth, place of birth, siblings etc? It might help narrow then down.

Brie

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, Brie; thanks:

Name:   William LEAK1,2
Sex:   Male
Father:   William LEAK (1770-1846)
Mother:   Anne LEE (aft1803-1863)
 Individual Events and Attributes
Birth   bef 5 Sep 1830   Nunburnholm, Pocklington, East Riding Yorkshire, England. "5 Sep 1830. William, son of William and Ann Leak, farmer, Nunburnholme." (Source: Bishop's transcripts).
Baptism   5 Sep 1830 (age 0)   St James Church of England, Nunburnholm, East Riding Yorkshire, England.
Census 1834 (age 4)   Low Field Farm, Nunburnholm, Pocklington, East Riding Yorkshire, England.
Residence   1841 (age 11) Clayfield farm, Butt Lane, Nunburnholme, East Yorkshire. The 1841 Census has "Scholar" and several mis-transcriptions including Leale, Leah and Leek.
Occupation   1851 (age 21) butcher; farmer; 2 Grove Terrace, Leeds, Yorkshire. At Pocklington in 1843 (Easton, Directory, Pocklington) there are a number of butchers listed. William could have been apprenticed to any one of them. Some, such as Thomas Staveley (with whom he had a fight) owned several additional properties including a butcher shop (at Swine Market) as well as a residence.
Residence   btw 1861 and 1864 (age 38) Lowfield farm, Butt Lane, Nunburnholme, East Riding Yorkshire, England. The 1861 UK Census transcription has "Peak" not "Leak."   Not to be confused with William Leak of North Cave - another person entirely.
Occupation   1861 (age 31)   farmer of 88 acres; Nunburnholm, Pocklington, East Riding Yorkshire, England. From 1861 UK Census: "with one man Waters, John, Servant.  M, 21yrs, Farm Servant  born at Acklam. 1861 Census mis-transcription "Peak" not "Leak". Written as "Peak, William,  Head  M  31, Farmer of 8 acres (should read 88 acres) employing 1 man; born Nunburnholme". (Another mis-transcription is "Leah" not "Leak.") "Peak, Ann  Wife  F  20;  b Barmby on the Moor; Barcley, Ann  Servant  F  13  House Servant  b Barmby on the Moor; Waters, John  Servant  M  21  Farm Servant  b Acklam."
Cheers