Author Topic: Alice Leak 1853-1878  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Leak 1853-1878
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
I'm on holiday at the moment so don't have my notes with me, sorry won't be able to give exact dates. The William Leak in Bolton ( I've done considerable research into the people in this village) was the blacksmith and Ann Davidson was his 'housekeeper' for many years. He then married her in the registered district of Pocklington. Bolton has no church only a Wesleyan chapel. So he probably married in Pocklington.  As far as my research shows they had no children as Ann was well in her forties when they married. After Ann's death he moved from Bolton and on the next census it shows him as a boarder with Sarah Adamson and her daughter in Yapham, (next village down the road). Between the two censuses I believe he went to Barmby Moor.  He is buried in Bolton chapel graveyard, the gravestone and inscription can be viewed on Bolton and Fangfoss local history site.  At the same time as he lived in Bolton there was another William Leake in the village but he spelt his name with an 'e' at the end.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Thornwood,
That couple is the one I referred to earlier as a possibility for the Leak/Davi(d)son marriage.
Ratty2 however has the marriage of William Leak(e), who is much younger, to Ann Cross and is a widower.
Then of course, there is the birth of Alice who ratty2 says has parents William and Ann.
If research was commissioned, surely there would be certificates to back up any information.  ???
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have re-checked my researcher's report - there is no reference to Bolton there. She did clarify that there are several references to Yapham, but not with regard to my William Leak(e).
The marriage was to Ann Davison (not Davidson)

5 Apr 1853 William Leak m. Ann Davison at Pocklington
Father of groom: John Leak.  Father of Bride: John Davison

I have ordered copies of Alice's birth and death, so I wait until then to verify Alice's parentage. In meantime I am thinking about the reference to Lake (not leak) whether a typo or not.

The marriage bond contains the following information:
Name: William Leak
Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Name: Ann Davison Lake
Spouse's Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Age: 21
Event Date: 28 Mar 1853
Event Place: York, England

"I realise that I didn't mention that Ancestry have transcribed Alice and her grandmother as Lake -on the original manifest it is clearly Leake. They are living at the Village Farm House, Bishop Wilton."

This child is aged 13 in 1861, giving her a birth date of 1848- so can't be the one I'm looking for.

Cheers for now.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 07:49 BST (UK) »
In your earlier reply when quoting the marriage, you have written that both William and Ann are "age 21 - the age simply indicates that he/she was an adult".

Do you not have the certificate?

Family Search does show 21 yrs b 1832 but it is a transcription, there is no image. I wonder if your researcher has seen the image or there is just a presumption that both parties were really 21 yrs.

It is such a coincidence that Ann Davi(d)son and William Leak were together in 1851 and Thornwood has them marrying. There is no other Leak/Davison marriage.

This might also explain the father being John Leak and not William as your research shows.

However, there is still the mystery of William being a widower when he marries Ann Cross.  :-\

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 October 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Heywood,
Re William's first marriage to Anne Davison 1853, no I do not yet have a copy of that marriage, only the transcriptions from IGI (the parish register copy) and the FreeBDM entry and the IGI copy of the Marriage Bond and Allegation. Her 1856 death is supplied to me by my researcher, and no I do not yet have a certificate of that death.

The marriage certificate I do have is William's (age 30) on 31 Dec 1860 marriage to Ann Cross age 19 years, Spinster, Servant, Nunburnholme, dau of Robert Cross, Tailor.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 October 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
And that's where he is a widower and son of William?

Apologies for my persistence.  ::)

Let's hope that the certificates for Alice solves the mystery.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 October 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
This William (1830-1889) is a widower at Lowfield Farm, Nunburnholme, and his father's name was also William at Nunburnholme 1770-1846.
Cheers

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 October 15 13:25 BST (UK) »
That fits then doesn't it. :)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Now covered with shame, embarrassment and red face, I find my Researcher did supply a second Report with clarification of Ann Davison's marriage.

Wrong Mr Leak.

She said "at the Borthwick Institute at York, I did check full details of the Pocklington marriage register in order to rule in or out the 5 Apr 1853 marriage of a William Leak to an Ann Davison. Unfortunately this marriage is definitely not the correct one. The register revealed that this William Leak was a widower and a blacksmith living in Bolton; his father was John Leak, a blacksmith."

So we are none the wiser. My researcher did not pursue the matter, (we ran out of money and time) and I have yet to receive the birth and death certificates of Alice Leak.

My apologies again for making such an error.