Author Topic: how to find information on birth/death/marriage on someone born in ireland?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline nicolesmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how to find information on birth/death/marriage on someone born in ireland?
« on: Wednesday 30 September 15 03:07 BST (UK) »
grandparents were born in ireland.  father was born in ireland - county mayo, in 1929.  then he came to the united states.  he passed away many years ago, and i cannot find any information on where exactly he was born, along with his parents info.  can someone help me get information on where i need to look?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: how to find information on birth/death/marriage on someone born in ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicole and welcome :)

First of all, gather up any information you have about him - parents, siblings etc.

There are birth indexes here https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347.
Hopefully you will find the registration and then you could apply for his birth certificate. https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx
Marriage indexes are also avaiable.

I am not sure if you have his parents names but if you do, you may find then in 1911 indexes, presumably before marriage. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicole and Welcome

If you post some info then we should be able to help:

Your Father's Name

Your Grandfather's Name

Your Grandmother's Name Incl Maiden Name

Tara

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
I think you really need to start your search with US records.  Start with your father and work backwards.

If your father and grandparents died in the US, a death certificate or an obituary may have information about their parents, siblings, or where they came from.  For anyone who had a Social Security number, a copy of the original Social Security application would likely contain parents' names and possibly a more precise place of birth.  Other options for finding more information would be a marriage certificate, naturalization records, or a passenger list.  If your father was in the US in 1930 or 1940, the federal census records should show him and his parents. 

If any other relatives of your father or grandparents came to the US, checking these same records for them may lead to more helpful information.

www.familysearch.org is a very helpful website that has the US census records and some passenger lists and vital records.  It has the Social Security death index, which may contain your father and an exact date of birth for him.  If you live in the US, your local library may provide free access to sites like Ancestry.com and Heritage Quest.