Author Topic: Abel Jones, Penmachno  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abel Jones, Penmachno
« on: Thursday 01 October 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
I understand from newspaper reports that my GG Grandfather Abel Jones (1827-1897) a quarryman in Cwm Penmachno was also a minor poet. His poetic name was "Abel Colwyn" presumably because he originated from Llanddulas. Would anyone know of any sources where his poetry might be found?
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abel Jones, Penmachno
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
Quoting from a BBC Wales blog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/1aec245b-1d1c-3db6-9792-46ab48c7f73c):

Abel Jones, 1829 to 1901, was known as Y Bardd Crwst which means, simply, "the crust poet." He was a ballad writer and singer of note and the name reflected the way in which he chose to earn his living.

The "Dictionary of Welsh Biography", only mentions this Abel Jones?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately this Abel Jones isn't mine, surprisingly since one would not expect many people of that name. Many thanks, however, for your help.
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
 As you say, they are 2 different Abel Jones' . Can't find anything about your Abel Jones on Welsh  Newspapers Online, or  Dictionary of Welsh Biography. 1891 Census gives his occupation as 'Saw Sharpener? in Slate Quarry'; Free BMD records death in 2nd Quarter of 1897. Bardd Crwst died at Llanrwst Workhouse in 1901.
Know someone who has written a lot about Penmachno; might see him tomorrow; if not will contact him over the weekend.

"BARDD CRWST" DEAD. Mr Abel Jones (Bardd Crwst), who was well-known throughout the Principality as a ballad singer, died in the Workhouse a few days ago. At their meeting on Tuesday, the Llanrwst Board of Guardians passed a. vote of thanks to his brother, Mr Hugh Jones. Tyddyn-terrace, for bearing all the funeral expenses.
Caernarvon & Denbigh Herald  05/07/1901.

Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank Emyr I will be interested if your friend does have any knowledge. I now believe that he was more locally known since he appears competing mainly at the local Wesleyan chapel in Penmachno. I have since found a few of his verses in Y Gwyliedydd under the name of Abel Colwyn or Abel Colwyn Jones. There was an article, which I have since misplaced, where the local Conservative Party had laid on a dinner for I think Lord Penrhyn, at which Abel was providing the entertainment between speeches. In it he is referred to as Mr Abel Jones poetic name Abel Colwyn.
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I must have mistyped my query on WelsNewspapersOnline that I didn't find any reference to Abel Colwyn ! Now found references in Y Gwyliedydd, Y Drych, and Baner ac Amserau Cymru. There's a letter in Y Drych 23/07/1914 written by E O Roberts of Jackson, Ohio, asking people to send copies of the poetry of poets from Penmachno area, either to him, or to O T Davies (Owain Machno), as the latter intends publishing a book of their work, 'Beirdd Machno' . Can't find any info as to whether anything became of this. According to Y Drych 25/06/1914 there's an article in 'CYMRU' re poets of Machno area. There's a serialised article 1914/1915 in Y Drych, by E O Roberts, on 'Some of the Characters of Penmachno'. which includes  a section about Abel Colwyn.
According to my Penmachno contact, there's very little info  about Abel, except for official records, Censuses etc. There is a copy of the winning essay in a local Eisteddfod, by 'Cynniweirydd' (identity not known). According to this, Abel set out to open a quarry on land near his home, but it was a failure and no slates were produced. He worked in the local quarries all his life. He was married to a daughter of Barbara Roberts who was a prominent Baptist in the area.
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Emyr
I am extremely grateful for the information you have discovered which provide me with a number of leads. I have already found the article on Able in Y Drych which gives a good description of his work in the local chapel. One could almost visualise him providing a "fire and damnation" sermon. The son mentioned Richard Jones was my G Grandfather and a prominent member of the Blaenau Ffestiniog community.
I am particularly intrigued by the mention that Abel tried to start a slate quarry of his own. Is the poem by 'Cynniweirydd' on line?
Many thanks again.
Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
The work by 'Cynniweirydd' is not a poem, but an essay, 'Chwareli Machno' (Machno Quarries). My contact has a copy, but knows of no other copy.
He also has a copy of  a book of poems published by Owain Machno in 1923, called 'Telyn Machno'. He doesn't mention whether or not poems by Abel are included. He also informs me that a book was published privately about 20 years ago about Penmachno poets, but Abel Colwyn isn't included
Emyr

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Emyr. I misread your earlier reply where you stated it was an essay. I found reference to "Hanes Chwareli Machno" in an online document where it states the essay was found in a Llandudno Junction Chapel safe in 1989 so I guess your contact does have the only copy.

Glyn
Robb - London/Scotland