Author Topic: William Harffey  (Read 821 times)

Offline bryan5808

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Harffey
« on: Thursday 01 October 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to trace details of a William Harffey. The only details I have is that he died in 1816 and that he married Elizabeth in St. Marys, Abchurch, City of London in 1797. He was that father of 4 children- Charles, Ann, Samuel and Thomas. He had 3 brothers and 3 sisters. I have details of all children. I need his birth details and his parents details if possible. To be honest anything you have re this family before about 1760 would be hugely helpful.  Many thanks

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Harffey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
William Harffey bach m Elizabeth Cole sp 10 Jan 1797 both of St Lawrence Pountney

witnesses - James Smith, Henriette Allane (?)  both signed

There's also a baptism of Harriet to Willm & Elizh in the same church on 7 June 1797  b May 2nd

Is the 1816 death in Chichester?

There are a few baptisms there between 1781 and 1787 to another William & Elizabeth inc another Harriet

What are the names of the 3 brothers & sisters?
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline bryan5808

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply. The only details I have are as follows;-- William and Elizabeth were married as your reply. They had 9 children as far as I know-- John 1775, Charles 1781, Harriet 1784, James 1785, Henry 1787, Elizabeth 1778, Thomas 1774, William 1773 and Ann 1790. So as you are aware I have hit a wall with William apart from his death in Chichester in 1816 and his marriage. I can find no record of his parents, siblings or his birth. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  Bryan

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify ... it seems you have two William/Elizabeth HARFFEY couples, a generation apart.

The children listed 1773-1790 were presumably the siblings of William junior, who married Elizabeth Cole in London in 1797. According to FamilySearch, William junior and his siblings were mostly baptised in Chichester, to William senior and another Elizabeth.

Which William was buried at Chichester in 1816 -- senior or junior? His age should be given in the burial register. If it was William senior, this will give you an approximate date to search for his baptism, so you really do need this information.

Judging by the number of HARFFEY/HARFEY/HARFFY (etc.) found in Sussex, you may want to look in that county rather than in London. You may need to consider the spelling HARVEY too. You could ask a moderator to move this thread to the Sussex board.

As well as FamilySearch, try taking a look at the Parish Register Transcription Society, which has excellent coverage for West Sussex.
http://prtsoc.frontis.co/bin/index.php

ADDED - related thread on Sussex board - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731919.0