Author Topic: Mansfield House. Ferry Port-on-Craig, Fife.  (Read 3166 times)

Offline jockland40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield House. Ferry Port-on-Craig, Fife.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hello jockland40,
     I hope I've found the right Census Returns with William & Janet Allan. 1861-Abdie, 1871-Balmerino (With Margaret Allan, Niece age 1) 1881-Monimail (With Maggie Allan age 11, now listed as Daughter) (A*try)
     According to these Census Returns, William was born at Abdie about 1832. There is a birth for a William Allan on 8th July, baptized 17th July, 1831 at Abdie. Parents: Andrew Allan & Anne Steele.
     Andrew Allan & Ann Steele also had a daughter, Eliza Gilchrist Allan, born 6th July, baptized 24th July, 1836 at Cupar, Fife. Does the place name you can't read look like Cupar? If so, could this be your Eizabeth?
               Regards,     Dod.

In the census of 1841 a William Allan is residing in Largo aged: 12 as a Shoemaker's Apprentice.  He has a sister Elizabeth aged 20.  His father appears to be Andrew (Shoemaker).

On the Census of 1871 Elizabeth Allan aged: 55, is listed in Ferry Port-on-Craig.  This may be William's sister or daughter.  The age must be wrong as she gave birth to Margaret in 1869.  It appears that she states her place of birth as Ferry Port-on-Craig.

Elizabeth could be his daughter or his sister?

Offline Norman Law

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield House. Ferry Port-on-Craig, Fife.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
The house is called Mansfield and is in Grey St Tayport. It has been owned by the Donaldson family who owned a timber business in Fife. The house was built in 1824 by the Rev Adam Blair who married Elizabeth Henderson I am descended from her on my mothers side. I grew up in the house until I was 18 so may have any other info you may require