Author Topic: Using DNA to find Scottish GR-GR-Grandfather in Renfrewshire  (Read 13566 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Using DNA to find Scottish GR-GR-Grandfather in Renfrewshire
« on: Monday 05 October 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello friends - My great-grandfather, John Reid, was born in Abbey poorhouse in Neilston, Renfrewshire in 1872. I'm embarking on a mission to find out who his father was! I'm going to use dna analysis and corresponding family trees to narrow the search down to the right time and place and age group, etc. I have some hope, because of the very good 1871 census that was done in Scotland, the year prior to John Reid's birth. My first problem is that I do not have a census report for John's mother, Caroline Reid, for 1871. I would like to have this to be sure that she was in the area where I think she was in the year prior to the birth of her son. I do have her in the 1861 census as boarding in Collier Street, Johnstone, Renfrewshire at age 13, presumably working in the mills. The next record I have for her is the birth of a first child, William, (at least I'm pretty sure it was her) in Neilston in 1870, then the birth of John in 1872 at the poorhouse. She died in 1881 at another boarding house in Neilston (which is about 3 miles down the road from her 1861 home in Johnstone). I'm wondering if perhaps she journeyed to visit her father during 1871, as he was dying at that time. If so, she may have been at Armadale, West Lothian at the time of the census. Unfortunately I don't know in which month her father passed away, only that it was 1871. Is there anyone out there who has the ability to search the 1871 census more in depth than I can on ancestry? Caroline Reid was born in 1848 in Dalmellington, Ayrshire. Her parents were John Reid and Caroline Matilda Fergusson. However, her mother died either at or shortly after Caroline's birth, and her father remarried to a woman named Hannah Geddes. They had several more children together. If anyone can find a census report or any other documentation of Caroline's whereabouts around 1871, you'll win the genealogist sleuth of the year award! Not to mention my eternal gratitude.  ;) Thank-you in advance.

ladyk
Scotland: Reid

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Using DNA to find Scottish GR-GR-Grandfather in Renfrewshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 15 07:22 BST (UK) »
Good luck just remember at the present time DNA cannot even prove that one known man is the father of another known man.
It can however prove that one man is not the father of another

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
If I am reading your post correctly, you do not have a possible 'suspect' for the child's father just a rather vague area in which he might have lived? If that's the case it's rather like a needle in a haystack unless a relative of the father has actually participated.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 13:04 BST (UK) »

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Good luck just remember at the present time DNA cannot even prove that one known man is the father of another known man.
It can however prove that one man is not the father of another

Cheers
Guy

Yes, I'm using the dna results as a guide to find family descendants and work from there through records to pinpoint the actual person.

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
If I am reading your post correctly, you do not have a possible 'suspect' for the child's father just a rather vague area in which he might have lived? If that's the case it's rather like a needle in a haystack unless a relative of the father has actually participated.

Well that's what I'm looking for. Descendants of this man's family. I have well over 4,000 dna matches to start with. It is a bit like a needle in a haystack, but not impossible if I'm lucky and the records come through. I have had many successes in proving ancestral lines back to individuals so far with dna data, it's just that I don't know this man's name! YET!  ;D

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Had you looked at Poor Law Applications?

http://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Poor-Law.aspx

S_L

Thanks for the resource, I shall go and explore!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Well that's what I'm looking for. Descendants of this man's family. I have well over 4,000 dna matches to start with. It is a bit like a needle in a haystack, but not impossible if I'm lucky and the records come through. I have had many successes in proving ancestral lines back to individuals so far with dna data, it's just that I don't know this man's name! YET!  ;D

As I said, that approach will only have a chance of working if there is matching dna in the same database to compare the results.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:38 BST (UK) »

As I said, that approach will only have a chance of working if there is matching dna in the same database to compare the results.

Exactly so. I'm counting on there being at least one out of 4,000 plus people who match my dna