Author Topic: Merchant Navy - ship's log  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy - ship's log
« on: Monday 05 October 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
Would a Merchant Navy ship from the 1830s have had a log book?   If it survived, where might it be now?

I am interested in The Martha that was registered at Bideford.   A nephew of my 2 x great grandmother was apprenticed for 5 years in 1833 and I can find no trace of him afterwards.   

I'm guessing he was lost at sea and hoping a log might record the event.

Any help or suggestions as to how to proceed would be very welcome.

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - ship's log
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
It was not until the Mercantile Marine act of 1850 that masters were compelled to keep an official  logbook which recorded illness's, births and deaths on board.
There are some Crew agreements rather than logbooks for the port of Bideford from 1835 but in my experience these are far from complete.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4064542
There may be early Muster Roles more or less early Crew agreements available from local records offices, so you should  enquire from Devon Record Office.

The ships name "MARTHA" was fairly common in the 1830's some 24 vessels recorded with that name in 1834. This is further complicated by the fact there were two vessels with that name
 registered in Bideford. One, a 94 ton vessels ceases to be recorded after 1833. Just wondering if she was lost.
In any event I think you will not have an easy task confirming your ancestor died at sea.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah and seaweed

I'm very grateful for your replies and the detailed information I have got from the links you supplied.   It looks as if visits to Kew and Greenwich are called for, so not too difficult.   I had expected a trip to Devon would be involved.

I got my dates slightly wrong.   It was in 1831 when my man started his apprenticeship but the Martha in question had a "burthen" of 136 (tons?).   I'm hoping that means she wasn't the one that ceased to be recorded in 1833.

Thank you both so much for your kind help,

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
The other Bideford vessel named Martha  had a tonnage of 137 tons built in Appledore in 1819.
Owned and managed by S Lewis. she was a Brig employed in the coastal trade.
Given her tonnage I am fairly confident this is the vessel you are looking for.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi seaweed

Thank you very much for the extra information about the Martha.   Simon Lewis is the name of the Master on the register of apprentices.

Regards,

Diana 
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 03:19 BST (UK) »
You can follow the arrivals and sailings of the ship via online newspapers on the British Library website, which is free to members of local British libraries :-

http://find.galegroup.com/bncn/basicSearch.do

Using the search term "Martha AND Lewis", I did a couple of searches:

one to double check that it was the ship Martha out of Bideford with Captain Lewis and got confirmation in this newspaper, Royal Cornwall Gazette, Falmouth Packet & Plymouth Journal (Truro, England), Saturday, January 01, 1831; Issue 1436. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

which states:
PENZANCE,
 Arrived
"the Martha of Bideford, Lewis (= captain), from Cork, to London"

==
The second sample was this Southampton Shipping Arrival but you'll notice there's no indication of it sailing to its next destination on that day:-

SOUTHAMPTON, FEB. 22 , 1834.
Hampshire Advertiser & Salisbury Guardian Royal Yacht Club Gazette, Southampton Town and County Herald, Isle of Wight Journal, Winchester Chronicle, and General Reporter (Southampton, England), Saturday, February 22, 1834; Issue 553. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

"Arrived
Martha ( = the ship), Lewis ( = captain), from Waterford"

==
If the ship has problems when it sails into port there's usually a word to describe it such as "limping"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena

Thank you very much for that information.   I had managed to pick up the Martha in a couple of Devon papers but will now try looking farther afield.   I am going to Kew this afternoon, so have my fingers crossed that I can turn up the log book there.

Regards,

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Mixed success at Kew!

Sadly there was nothing for the Martha in the Bideford box which covered 1835 - 1844 (BT 98/175) and nothing at all exists for Bideford earlier.   Hopefully more information will turn up elsewhere.

Luckily I did better with someone else in my tree who drowned at sea.   His ship's log gave a very long list of his effects, which is great info to have even if it does make sad reading.

Sincere thanks to those who offered help and advice.

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent