Author Topic: James Fyfe - Edith Agnes Maitland Meyer  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
James Fyfe - Edith Agnes Maitland Meyer
« on: Wednesday 07 October 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Edith was born in Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh on 19 Oct 1895.  Her husband John was born Dunfermline, Fife on 20 Mar 1895 and died in Greenvale Avenue, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York on 3 Mar 1960.

They married in Yonkers, Westchester County, New York on 1 Jun 1917 and had two children James (b.1918-d.1967) and Stanley (b.1920).

I've trawled the Fulton Old Postcards website and Ancestry looking for a death date and place for Edith, but to no avail.  Can anyone assist me?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Fyfe - Edith Agnes Maitland Meyer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
The obituary for son James says he was survived by his mother, living in Sweden.

It looks like Stanley died 1998.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi shellyesq

Nice to hear from you again and thanks for the reply.  Yes, Stanley did die 6 April 1998.

Where did you find the Obituary?

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
It's on www.fultonhistory.com.  Someone had it on an Ancestry tree, too.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Silly me, shelleyesq ... of course it is!  I got the Obituary some time ago for James Jr., and was looking in totally the wrong place on this occasion!

It could be assumed, therefore, that mum may have died in Sweden!  I'm not sure why, because she was born in Edinburgh and her mother in Kirriemuir, Forfarshire  :-\   I have no birth details for her father Charles ... YET ... although he did die in Newington District of Edinburgh in 1900.

I'm going to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks' time and will get the Register of his Death then to see if it sheds any light.

Chiad Fhear

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Chiad Fhear

I took a look in the deaths database here in Sweden for Edith to no avail. I have even checked the 1970, 1980 and 1990 census database also to no avail.
I decided to see if I could find her elsewhere.

Did Edith return to the US after the birth of Stanley? She wasn't with Christina and the boys in 1925 on the way back to the US.
I did find the passenger list for Christina returning to Glasgow on the Olympia in July 1919 with 2 other people whom I believe to be Edith and James but strangely enough written as Jean and Margaret. Margaret Fyfe was recorded as being 10 months old and Jean as a wife of 25 years old. The addresses recorded were 29 and 25 Dean Street, Edinburgh.

There is also a passenger list for James Fyfe returning to Glasgow on the Columbia in November 1919 with address 29 Dean Street, Edinburgh.

I haven't been able to find a return list to the US for James or Edith.

If Edith did happen to die in Sweden there should be a record of her somewhere.
Are you sure that her D.O.B is correct - 19 October 1895, as this would help a lot when looking for her here in Sweden.

Ian

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Many thanks for continuing my search!!

I have found no record for Edith going to the US, but her first son, James, was born in Yonkers, New York in 1918. She returned to Scotland at some time and second son, Stanley, was born in Edinburgh in 1920, and again, there's no record of her going back to the US. Her mother-in-law Christina Fyfe took the boys back to the US:
"Sailed from Glasgow on 14 Mar 1925 on board the S.S. "Cameronia" (Anchor Line) with her grandsons James Thomas Fyfe and Stanley Meyers Fyfe and arrived in New York, USA on 23 Mar 1925 - next of kin Thomas Fyfe, 29 Dean Street, Edinburgh to Son John Fyfe, 170 Lockwood Avenue, Yonkers, Westchester County, New York."

There is also this for Christina:
Sailed from New York on board the S.S. "Olympia" (Anchor Line) with her daughter-in-law Jean and grand-daughter Margaret and arrived in Glasgow on 9 Jul 1919 to 29 Dean Street, Edinburgh
"Jean" or "Jane" was Andrew Taylor Fyfe's wife.

I have the date of birth of 19 Oct 1895 recorded for Edith (from an Ancestry Tree so it may, or may not, be correct) but will confirm it when I go to Edinburgh on Monday/Tuesday 19/20 of this month.

At the moment, I'm in the throes of changing laptops, getting the latest version of Family Tree Maker 2014, and working on exporting my whole file from one to the other too. I'm also trying to get to grips with the new Windows 10. The old laptop still runs on Vista and my Family Tree Maker is the 2006 version!

I'll be in touch again after I've been to Edinburgh.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

I was in the ScotlandsPeople Centre again this week and searched the Register of Birth for Edith and can confirm she was born EDITH AGNES MAITLAND MEYER, 1885, October 19th, at 115 Dalkeith Road, Edinburgh, d/o Charles Meyer, Cabinetmaker and Agnes Robertson Meyer m.s. Duncan who married 1894, December 29th in Edinburgh. Her father Charles registered her birth.

There was no record of her death here in Scotland.

I hope you can find something for her.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a marriage for an Edith Agnes Mailland Meyer to a Harry Mackay:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC8L-MMN

Here is a death for an Edith Maitland Mackay:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVC5-Z85H

A passenger list to Egypt for an Edith Agnes Maitland Mackay on Ancestry on 18 Oct 1946 on the ship Empress Of Scotland.

Ian