Author Topic: Simon Hugo  (Read 3332 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simon Hugo
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
I have Simon Hugo in the 1861 census, Lower Bore St, Bodmin married to Lucy Ann Hewitt Branch.
I have both of their births 1816 Kenwyn and 1820 St Endellion respectively and their marriage in 1836.
I have a death for Lucey Hugo, aged 47, in 1868 from the Dissenters Burying Ground Register with a note that she is Wesleyan.

In the 1871 Census, Simon Hugo of Bodmin (definitely the right one - children all match) is married to a Sarah, 41, schoolmistress, born Somerset Bristol.  I can't find a record of this marriage.  Can anyone help?

Addition.  There is a Simon Hugo marriage in Bristol in 1869 but I don't have the bride's name.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Hugo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is showing the following people married in the Bristol Registration District, volume 6a, page 55.

Hugo, Simon

Stephens, Sarah
Wookey, Sarah
Eddolls, Francis James

So a choice of 2 brides! ;D

Trees on Ancestry have her as Sarah Wookey, born 1830?
But I haven't see any documents to prove their findings (no sub!).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Family Search have :-

Simon Hugo to Sarah Wookey 8th March 1869 Bristol
Grooms Father William Hugo
Brides Father John Sutton

Looks like it could be him, as 1841:-

Simeon HUGOE 20 occ Ag Lab
Lucy 20
Edwin 1 Not born in county
William 65
Residing Calice Street Kew, Bodmin
Census ref HO107/152/ 10/8 / 8

I see Lucy Branch was baptised privately 28th July 1820 at St Endellion, Mother Catherine residence Chapel Amble in St Kew

Cathrine Branch 45 occ Confectioner is residing at Amble, St Kew in 1841
Census ref HO107152/ 10/15 / 22

So just who is the Edwin Hawke aged 11 b St Kew shown as lodger with family in 1851?
Census ref HO107/1904/437/35

Edwin Hawke 9th February 1840 St Kew  Mother Mary Hawke
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply and the wife's name.  William Hugo was Simon Hugo's father.  That is him on the 1841 census.  He died in St Columb in 1848 aged 73.  I must admit I hadn't given any thought to Edwin Hawke. 

I am new to Cornish research, just started last week as my normal genealogy site is having problems and, coincidently, a cousin with whom I share the Cornish ancestry asked if I could find the family.  My area of expertise is Scotland - specifically Grants in the Spey Valley in North East Scotland.  I'm absolutely hopeless at English records, mainly because I like to see documentary proof before I accept anything and I would need a serious loan from the bank to send off for all the English certificates.  Having said that, I've come across the Cornwall OPC database. org and find it the next best thing.  I've downloaded lots of entries and am building up a tree quite quickly.  When I've got things sorted I'll be back with posts to fill the gaps.  Thanks for your help.

Jenny

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny, the baptism of Lucy I located did not include the extra middle names Ann Hewitt am I correct?

Edwin Hawke married a Susan James 24th October 1861 St Mawgan in Pyder naming his father as Thomas?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
No, no middle names.  I'm not sure when she added them.  She's plain Lucy on the 1841 and 51 but Lucy H on the 1861.  However, looking at the 1836 marriage to Simon Hugo, she is Lucy Hewitt Branch on that.  Bearing in mind her lack of father on the baptismal entry and her mother being "U" on the 1851 and "W" on the 1861 with no marriage I can find, I would suspect that Hewitt is the surname of the illegitimate Lucy Branch's father.  Thinking about it, I'm not sure where the Lucy ANN Hewitt Branch came from.  I may be conflating her daughter, my GG grandmother, Lucy Ann Hugo with her mother.  I've suddenly acquired quite a lot very quickly and am in danger of getting muddled but am enjoying Cornwall immensely.  It's nicely contained with it's own unique character and lots of sources available on-line if you work at it.  Do books of monumental inscriptions exist for Cornwall?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
the opc site has some memorial inscriptions in the extra searches. Also the Cornwall Family History Society has resources for MIs.

http://www.cornwallfhs.com/transcriptions-progress-and-society-holdings/

You can access scans of many parish records in Cornwall via the FamilySearch site

https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https://familysearch.org/recapi/sord/collection/1769414/waypoints
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'm going to be busy the next few evenings!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb