Author Topic: Henry Jacobs train driver of the Natal  (Read 2793 times)

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Jacobs train driver of the Natal
« on: Friday 09 October 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have an ancestor who 'disappeared' from English records in 1860.  He was an engine driver called Henry Jacobs, born in 1820.  At the time he disappeared an engine driver called Henry Jacobs turns up in Natal to put together and drive the first South African train, The Natal, on its inaugural journey.  Is this man my ancestor?  I have a Henry Jacobs 'engineer' marrying a Jane Adams, at Fort Nottingham in October 1862, but he would be a bit young for my grt x 4 grandfather, and it would have been a bigamous marriage!  His wife in England was calling herself a widow in 1871 - so can anyone out there help? If only to eliminate him as a candidate!
Best
Janet Pick ???

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jacobs train driver of the Natal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
I have a Henry Jacobs 'engineer' marrying a Jane Adams, at Fort Nottingham in October 1862, but he would be a bit young for my grt x 4 grandfather, and it would have been a bigamous marriage! 

If he was born 1820 then a marriage in 1862 wouldn't be too young at 42. 

When did yours marry his wife in England - where is she in 1861?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
The Henry Jacobs who married Jane was born in about 1827. The marriage certificate says he was 35 years old at the time of marriage in 1862.

Sadly I do not think that this is your ancestor :(
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for responses - I know his wife in 1861 and 1871 was living in Boston, Lincs - named Rebecca Jacobs.  I know the engineer in Natal said he was 35 which would make him the wrong age - IF it was the same man - there are quite a few Henry Jacobs in Durban area as it was a common name!  I just want to eliminate him. If the one marrying Jane Adams was indeed the same man that drove the train then he is very probably not mine.  Then I can focus elsewhere!
Best
Janet

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Will see if I can find anything on the "Natal" train. There must be something somewhere - now just to find it!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have found a very interesting article in Natalia on the train. If you PM me your email address I will forward it to you.

One thing I have just thought of is that Jacobs is a very common Afrikaans surname - pronounced Yakops - so it is quite possible that he was an Afrikaaner and not from England.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline foliot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I know he was English as the Minutes of the Directors of the Natal Railway Company state his arrival from England on 21 Jan 1861 - " Arrival of Henry Jacobs, Engine Driver, " his passage to Cape Town was paid by the London Agents  and his rail fare from Plymouth.  I would be interested in anything you have around the Natal and thank you for responding!  How do I send you my email?
Best,
Janet

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
If you go just under my name there is an icon which will enable you to send me a private message.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Phil T Mack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Janet, I am looking for my maternal great grandfather, Henry Jacobs, whom is believed to have come from England  to drive the first steam train in Sri Lanka.  He married in Sri Lanka in 1865 and had 8 children, one of which was my Grandmother. It seems that he was sent back to England due to ill health.  I can't seem to find any evidence of when he was born and where however, it is believed he passed away in 1883 in England.  I too am wondering if this is the same Engine driver/Engineer from Natal in Sth Africa and if it is the same Henry Jacobs that you are also searching for. Thank you.