Author Topic: John Simpson 1857  (Read 8077 times)

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Simpson 1857
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Henry Simpson and Jane Spalding are not the parents of your man. Their son John, b. 1858 in Wombat Parish (Daylesford area) died in 1950 in Wandin North (#19510). So you can rule that one out.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »
David what is the source of the family story about John's parents' dying en route to Australia?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Toban

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Those public trees cando mentioned give the 'missing' child of Henry Simpson and Jane Hogg as Colina (c.1849–1924), who married Robert Johnson in 1873. This is consistent with Jane Wood's death notice and other newspaper clippings. So...... It looks like, after all that, that the Simpson-Hogg isn't the one that gave rise to your John of Mount Gambier  :(

So, back to the drawing board we go!

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother. Johns granddaughter born 1917. But she would have misheard that from her own father or aunties, or maybe its a mash of the Loch Sloy story , widely covered in the Border Watch ( Mt Gambier paper)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/81714226?

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a shipping record on FindMyPast where a John Simpson is 4 but arrives with a John and Margaret 34/33 and sister Mary 6

Douglas Mackay Dec 1861

So either the Henry is a mislead or I need to expand even more

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Those public trees cando mentioned give the 'missing' child of Henry Simpson and Jane Hogg as Colina (c.1849–1924), who married Robert Johnson in 1873. This is consistent with Jane Wood's death notice and other newspaper clippings. So...... It looks like, after all that, that the Simpson-Hogg isn't the one that gave rise to your John of Mount Gambier  :(

So, back to the drawing board we go!
?? Didn't you put Clarkson as a mistranscription of Johnson?

So now the online trees say Mrs Johnson and Reid and Clarkson and the Obit only states Johnson and Reid? I worried about the Cockburn/Clarkson one as that is the name of a large body of water south of Perth called Cockburn Sound.

So , to me there is still 1 to go if we ignore Cockburn?

Scott, Cronin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Birthplace and length of residence in Australia
Mount Gambier  South Australia Lifetime

I may be heading off track ..... but

Aberdeen ....  ummmm..... lifetime in Australia ..... ummmm..... Aberdeen is in New South Wales .....  in the Hunter .... it is named after Aberdeen, Scotland.

I have some (quite a few, .... lots .... shelves full of)  offline NSW resources  :)  particularly 19th C  :)  Do you think 'your' John Simpson was in NSW  :)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a shipping record on FindMyPast where a John Simpson is 4 but arrives with a John and Margaret 34/33 and sister Mary 6

Douglas Mackay Dec 1861

So either the Henry is a mislead or I need to expand even more

David that record is on the PROV passenger lists. 
http://prov.vic.gov.au/research/ships-and-shipping

cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you majm.

There was a time when I was 10 or 12 and I was trying to tune my nanna out that the name Mcarthur was mentioned. I never pursued it but always hoped that it was the sheep baron but nothing jumped out when I looked quickly at his life story.

Anywhere in Australia is always a possibility. :)

The Aberdeen was because his son William John was in the Caledonian Society in Naracoorte

Scott, Cronin