Author Topic: Benjamin Lewis embezelment Tunbridge Wells 1851  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Lewis embezelment Tunbridge Wells 1851
« on: Monday 12 October 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
 Im researching Benjamin Lewis, born 1800 Tunbridge Wells baptised 1801. He married Sarah Vaux or Sarah Vour 1823 at St Mary, Islington. Their children were William John,Catherine,Mary Ann,Isabel Maria, B enjamin,Ferdinand,Charlesm, and Alfred all born in Tunbridge Wells between 1826 and 1839.

I have Benjamin as a clerk with the Tunbridge Wells Comissioners on London Road in the 1840 directory. the 1841 census has Benjamin as an appraiser and with him is his wife Sarah and seven of their children. The 1851 census, taken at 2 Bedford Place Tunbridge Wells gave Benjamin as a town commissioners clerk.

He is not found in any 1861 census in England but the 1871 census has him at 5 Carston Terrace in Lambeth,Surrey, He is given as a "gentleman". With him was his wife Sarah and three of his children.

It appears from a death records for a Benjamin Lewis born 1800 that he died in the 4th qtr of 1880 at St Saviour, Southwark,Surrey.

In July 1851 he was found to have embezeled some 4,000 pounds from the town of Tunbridge Wells while working as a clerk and quickly left town and apparently left the country for a letter from his son from some foreign country stated that his father would return to England if no charges were made against him and if he payed the money back. There is no indication that he ever payed the money back and nothing found indicating that he had  been arrested and charged.

I have two questions. Can someone with access to passenger/travel records on Ancestry for example give me any details about where Benjamin went in 1851 once his crime was discovered. When he left and with whom (no doubt his wife went with him) and to where and details about his return to England are of great importance to me. Any information about charges against him /legal cases/warrants/ arrests etc also of interest.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Lewis embezelment Tunbridge Wells 1851
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that several newspapers reported Benjamins embezelment in the period of July 13 to July 17,1851. He presumably left the town before the crime was noticed otherwise I would expect he would have been arrested so I think you need to look at travel records before July 13,1851 at the latest.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
According to the Sussex Advertiser of 24th June (not July) 1851 he absconded by leaving "town" (presumably T Wells) on Friday 13th June on the 5 o'clock train & was seen and spoken to on the train by somebody who knew him, upon which he left the train at Godstone (either, it was speculated, to change carriage to avoid this person or to change trains for "Dover or elsewhere").
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. So if he was heading to Dover or at least the south coast Im wondering if he was headed ultimately to France. I would think ships went from Dover to France.

Anyone find a 1861 census for him in the south coast part of England?

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 12:12 BST (UK) »

I have two questions. Can someone with access to passenger/travel records on Ancestry for example give me any details about where Benjamin went in 1851 once his crime was discovered. When he left and with whom (no doubt his wife went with him) and to where and details about his return to England are of great importance to me. Any information about charges against him /legal cases/warrants/ arrests etc also of interest.

I'm afraid there are no surviving passenger lists for this time. This page on TNA gives details of what is available and where :
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passengers/
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk