Author Topic: Stephen ANGEL - Merchant Navy Indenture  (Read 2310 times)

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen ANGEL - Merchant Navy Indenture
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 October 15 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks jcmac.

That is curious. This is an older brother:

Thomas   b. 20 Feb 1820
Christening Date: 17 Mar 1820  Low Church Paisley, Renfrew
Thomas Angel & Mary Clark

Marriages Sep Qtr 1843  Ashton
ANGEL Thomas  & Mary CLEMENTS

1843 Marriage solemnized at the Israelites Sanctuary Ashton Under Lyne in the District of Ashton and Oldham in the Counties of Lancashire and Cheshire
No. 66 - Twentyfifth of September 1843
Thomas Angel  of full age  Bachelor  Cloth Lapper  Katherine Street Ashton under Lyne  Thomas Angel  Horse Trainer
Mary Clements  of full age  Spinster  Works in a Warehouse  Katherine Street Ashton under Lyne  James Clements  Weaver
Married in the Israelites Sanctuary according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Israelites  by me Aaron Woollacott
Thomas signed and Mary by her x mark
Witnesses: Edward Odgen, Elizabeth Woollacott
John Whitehead  Registrar

1851 This record translated by Mcr/Lancs FHS from damaged records - no actual record to see
HO107 Piece 2233 Folio 0 Page 0
Civil Parish: Ashton-Under-Lyne
County: Lancashire
Registration District: Ashton Under Lyne
Address: 141 Fleet Street, Ashton-Under-Lyne
SIMPSON Charles  Head Married M 29 1822 Iron Moulder Chesterfield
SIMPSON Alice  Wife F 25 1826  Illegible Illegible
SIMPSON Emma  Dau F 5 1846  Scholar  Ashton Lancashire
ANGEL Thomas  Lodger Married M 29 1822  Plumber  Scotland

Robert McQueen is not a name I've seen before re a connection to Stephen but that is interesting. I will try and trace him.

25 NOV 1854
ANGEL, STEPHEN.
Event Missing friends
Place: Victoria
Comment: WHO SAW RICHARD DUNN FROM PAISLEY, SCOTLAND IN MELBOURNE

I think Samuel ended up going to Victoria because he was struggling in Paisley and must have heard Stephen was doing quite well there.

Regards,

Fred

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
Number of Register Ticket: 106507  Name of Apprentice: Angel Stephen  Age when Bound: 14  Date of Indenture: 15 May 1845 Term for which Bound: 4  Indenture Expires: 15 May 1849 Name and residence of Parties to whom Bound: Galbraith  ... ?  Vessel in which Apprentice is to serve: Minerva  Remarks: ... ?

There are some other details written on the page which are hard to read. I will post a copy on the Documents board.

Fred

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
If you look at the document closely, I think you will find that the port of registry is Glasgow.
Lloyd's Register 1845/46 gives no vessel named MINERVA registered in Liverpool. What it does give however is a vessel named MINERVA registered in Glasgow owned by------Galbraith.  She was a 349 ton bark built at Whitby in 1813. Looks like Galbraith purchased her from Simpson of Whitby  (POR Whitby changed to Glasgow) in early 1845 and sold her in 1846 to R Aickman of Glasgow (Same POR)

Looks likly that MINERVA made several voyages Clyde to Trinidad and return during this time.

What I meant in my original question was How did you get hold of this document. Was it on line, In which case what site or did you have someone search for you in the British Archive.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 15 04:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much seaweed.

Someone with a subscription ot 'Anc..' looked it up for me. As well as this one for Robert McQUEEN. It notes the transfer to R. Aikman ?

I'm wondering of Stephen ever completed his four years.

Deserted ?  T. red ?  22/2/47 ?  Assigned 26 Nov 1845 to Robert Aikman of Glasgow

I also searched in 1841 and 1851 census for a Robert who would fit. I found one in Bridge st Paisley in 1841 and with same family in 1851 as a tailor. Seems rather odd but none others seemed to fit with very few with that name and the right age.

Fred