Author Topic: Bromyard Independent Chapel  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Catling121

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bromyard Independent Chapel
« on: Tuesday 13 October 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have some ancestors who were baptised in Bromyard Independent Chapel in the late 1690s early 1700s. Now, the ancestors in question seem to be completely untraceable prior to 1699, so I'm just interested to know a little bit more about this chapel. When did it start services, why, etc

I can't really seem to find anything online about this mysterious independent church, so if anybody has any information I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Many thanks,

Chris
Sims - Oxfordshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire
Townsend - Oxfordshire
Empson - Oxfordshire
Jackson - Northamptonshire
Mowbray - Herefordshire
Slade - Warwickshire, Middlesex, Devon
Fisher - Warwickshire
Mills - Warwickshire
Catling - Oxfordshire

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bromyard Independent Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:31 BST (UK) »
There is a report of 22 bodies being exhumed from the site of Bromyard independent chapel, also says it opened in 1701,  found by googling. " Bromyard independent chapel

There could of course be baptisms prior to this but these would take place possibly at home by a visiting preacher of the Congegationalist belief.

Mike

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
It was also known as the Congregational Chapel and was recently  converted to a house after standing empty for many years. http://htt.herefordshire.gov.uk/84.aspx

From "Bromyard a Local History" (Edit -by Bromyard Local History Society and University of Birmingham) The Rev Samuel Phillips was the first settled  minister in 1690 Nonconformists were not allowed freedom of worship until the Act of Toleration was passed in 1689.  Prior to this the house of a James Bond at Bromyard was a licensed meeting place -  the traditional site that the present chapel was built.   The first meeting at the chapel was in about 1702 and it was raised by subscription by local people

Kay

Edit -The register of baptisms started in 1696

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
The records for this chapel are held by Bromyard history society, whose website has an email contact,
They may be able to say what the date of the earliest records is, but as I it is entirely a volunteer organisation may not have the resources to carry out research, especially as many of their archives are not digitised.

Mike

Added, I see Kay has put a date of 1690, seems good to me