Author Topic: Mary Ann Kelly  (Read 1644 times)

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Kelly
« on: Wednesday 14 October 15 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, a bit of a long shot,I recently viewed a wedding certificate for an Elleanor Kelly to William Perry in 1869 Kilmegan,my question relates to one of the witnesses namely Mary Ann (the other witness was my gggrandfather Melvin Kelly) In trying to find out if she is another sibling I came across several trees on a commercial site which have a Mary Ann Kelly born May 1847 in Castle Willem,Down I was wondering if this was a transcription error and should be Castlewellan.These trees have her in Kansas in the 1870s and married to a Michael Getsinger.Her father is given as John Kelly (same name as Melvins and Elleanors father) If anyone could help in trying to establish if this Mary Ann was/was not a sibling of Melvin I would be very grateful.Jasiain

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
I suspect from the husband's surname that Mary Ann Kelly would have been married in the U.S. rather than Ireland so you could start looking at American records to see if you can find the names of both parents. Many states ask for names of both parents on marriage and death certificates but the dates and details for vital records does vary greatly from state to state.

Have you tried contacting the owner of the family tree to see if they have more information?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
I found what I think is one of those online trees and there are certainly some obvious errors-
1870 census in Kansas (but this Mary Ann is married to a Thomas Kelly)
1872 married Michael Paul Getsinger
1873 arrived in U.S.
1875 married Michael Paul Getsinger
(part of the problem is that the sources turn out to be estimated from later census records but it's not uncommon for a person's details to vary from census to census)
The tree also gives this Mary Ann Kelly as born 10 May 1847 Castle Willen, Co.Down but baptised 27 June 1847 Armagh, Co. Armagh (parents- John Kelly & Mary Vally).
Assuming that 'Castle Willen' is Castlewellan is seems to me unlikely that 1) parents would wait so long to baptise child & 2) they would go about 40 miles. I think it more likely that someone has used Ancestry's 'wonderful' hints and merrily attached different Mary Ann Kelly's to their tree.
There were quite a few other trees on Ancestry but after looking at the first one I lost the desire to check further.

So, what religion were your Kellys? If they were Catholic, have you looked to see what Parish records might be online and if they cover the period you are researching?

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,there are a lot of errors on those trees it was the similarity between Castle Willem and Castlewellan that caught my attention.I had previously left a message with one of the tree owners for clarification of source of place of birth but I have had no reply.
The family were Church of Ireland,and in the past year I have found 3 siblings for Melvin thanks to a very concise will (proni) that mentions Melvin and his brothers (Red John and Hugh) and an address for a nephew.Hugh and Red Johns wills are also on Proni.
Mary Ann may be a red herring and no relation,but John and Hugh dont mention a Mary in any of their wills and Isabella (Melvins sister) died childless.She was the writer of the informative will.
I only have Anc Uk and can only find the Getsingers on Family search and Mocavo.I have never searched in the USA are there any sites you recommend?Thanks Jasiain.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
For U.S. information start with Family Search (free)- www.familysearch.org.

However, before you even think about pursuing that lead further here are a few observations.

I've now looked at all the trees (very painful reading and I would love to gather up all the tree owners in one room and start shouting at them) and there is so much conflicting detail and no real source given for that birthdate and place.
One tree gives 1911 Irish census as the source- the link is to a widow Mary Ann Kelly living in Ireland but they also list U.S. census records as the source (none of which give more detail than 'Ireland' or age in years).
The 1847 Armagh baptism (which is Catholic) doesn't give a date of birth that I can see but where the trees give parents as John Kelly & Mary Vally the actual register says John Kelly & Mary Kelly.

Offline jasiain

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,the other issue I have is I purchased, several years ago 2 birth transcriptions from Rootsireland for a Melvin Kelly both born Benraw both with parents John and Margaret Kelly,(the younger Melvin married a McCrackin and left for America.)
Melvins first daughter to Margaret Jane Perry was named Mary Ellen,given that Mary Ellens mother, and both grandmothers being called Margaret I would have thought that their eldest daughter would have had a higher chance of being called Margaret which makes me wonder if the records that had been transcribed had misread Mary as a shortened version of Margaret.Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.Back to the drawing board and thanks again for your help.Jasiain

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
When were Melvin Kelly and Margaret Jane Perry married?

Ros Davies shows a Melvin Kelly (son of John) of Ballywillwill married 1866 Margaret Gilmore and had a daughter Margaret Anne in 1867-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/K/KellyMW.htm

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Son of Melvin Kelly & Margaret Jane Perry born 1877-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFF-D4R

Another son in 1879- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGJW-Y46

Daughter Mary Ellen (1870)- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPJ3-Y3Y

Another daughter in 1872- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F56R-H4B

So, could Melvin have been married twice?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
I see that you have the marriage (1869) of Melvin & Margaret Jane-
Hi, I am looking for any information on the following family from Drumanaquoile. All I have is Margaret Jane Perry (married to Melvin kelly 15th April 1869 at Clough 1st Presbyterian), her father was John, occupation Farmer, Witnesses at their wedding were Robert and William Perry who I assume were possibly her brothers.

What is listed for Melvin's status?

Never mind- you have already posted that also-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=545303.msg3989627#msg3989627