Author Topic: George Hood (born Selby 31 Jan 1847 ). Letitia Gibson, Cousin 1881 at Leicester?  (Read 2150 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

I am really stuck with this Letitia Gibson in 1881 and how she is related? Letitia Gibson was in the Leicester household of my Two times Gt Grandfather George Hood born Selby, Yorkshire.

1881 Census (originally under Wood):-
14 Nelson Street, Leicester, St Margarets
George Hood, Head, Marr, 34 yrs, Commercial Traveller Leather Trade, born Selby, Yorks.
Cecilia Hood, Wife, Marr, 31 yrs, born Brentford, Middlesex
John S. Hood, Son, 2 yrs, born Leicester
Henry G. Hood, Son, 8 months, born Leicester
Edith M. Hood, Dau'r, 5 yrs, born Wigston, Leicester
Letitia Gibson, Cousin, unm, 18 yrs, born Weston Super Mare

In 1872 Cecilia Hood was nee Cecilia Westley, Spinster of Albert Street, Northampton and William Joseph Westley, a Schoolmaster was Cecilia's father.
George Hood was born 31 January 1847 at Selby and the son of John Hood, a Tanner, who had married Sarah Richardson in the Parish of Sculcoates, August 1846.

1871 Census
To attempt a search for Letitia Gibson's connection, I have found a Letitia Gibson in the 1871 Census as follows:-
1871 Laverstoke
Laverstoke School
Caroline L Gibson, Head, Marr, 36 yrs, Schoolmistress, born Dorsetshire, Moreton
William Gibson, Son, 11 yrs, Scholar, born Weston Super Mare
Letitia Gibson, Daur, 7 yrs, Scholar, born Dorsetshire, Moreton

Comments
Although the birthplace for Letitia Gibson in 1881 was given as Weston Super Mare, I felt that with her apparent brother in 1871 being born Weston Super Mare, I felt there was enough to order a Birth Certificate, despite the GRO Index having a slight misspelling for Letitia I got the following Birth Certificate:-

11 October 1862 at Moreton, Letitia Eliza Sarah Gibson, Father Edward Dankley Gibson, Printer and the Mother Caroline Letitia Gibson, formerly Drake.

Thanks Mark

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood (born Selby 31 Jan 1847 ) Letitia Gibson - Cousin 1881 at Leicester?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 October 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
Marriage - 9 November 1856 - Fordington - by Licence - DorsetOPC

Edward Dunkley Gibson, 24, bachelor, Printer of East Fordington.  Father:  Christopher Gibson
Caroline Letitia Drake, 23, spinster of Osmington.  Father:  Edward Drake, Yeoman

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood (born Selby 31 Jan 1847 ). Letitia Gibson, Cousin 1881 at Leicester?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 October 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB

But I still cannot understand the line to link Letitia Gibson to either George Hood or Cecilia Hood (nee Westley)?
Mark

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood (born Selby 31 Jan 1847 ). Letitia Gibson, Cousin 1881 at Leicester?
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 15 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Haven't had chance to fully check it out but if you look at who William Joseph Westley married could possibly be the link to Leticia. Think he may have married Martha Gibson in 1838 (don't have my notes to hand to check the name). Could Martha be Leticias father Edwards sister? (Haven't had chance to check this out further) and if I've got the relationships right Leticia would be Cecelias cousin?

Hope I've remembered this correctly - apologies if not and completely on the wrong track.
Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Kev

Thanks, I check it out, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 December 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
James Gibson X Maria Dunkley marriage 28th May 1816 Whitechapel Middlesex

1881 census Cecilia Hood, Wife, Marr, 31 yrs, born Brentford, Middlesex

Re :-  BumbleB  post

Marriage - 9 November 1856 - Fordington - by Licence - DorsetOPC

Edward Dunkley Gibson, 24, bachelor, Printer of East Fordington.  Father:  Christopher Gibson
Caroline Letitia Drake, 23, spinster of Osmington.  Father:  Edward Drake, Yeoman

Re :- Mark's post 1

In 1872 Cecilia Hood was nee Cecilia Westley, Spinster of Albert Street, Northampton and William Joseph Westley, a Schoolmaster was Cecilia's father.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 December 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
According to Kev above and Free BMD, there was a possibility that William Joseph Westley, married Martha Gibson in 1838. Their daugher Cecilia Westley married George Hood in 1872 (George being my 2 X Gt. G.).

The Marriage of William J. Westley [William Joseph Westley], Schoolmaster, was in the Northampton Mercury dated 20 October 1838 to Martha Gibson eldest daughter of Mr C. Gibson, Queen's Arms' Inn, Market Square, in this town.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 October 16 22:38 BST (UK) »
Apart from James Hood,

Leicestershire, Northampton and Nuneaton, also Cheshire areas keep popping. ?

Think you have this link but?

https://lra.le.ac.uk/bitstream/2381/34063/1/U205274.pdf

page 383

Appendix 5.3

George Hood brewer

Could be on other pages
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth