Author Topic: House Name  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: House Name
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
If you look at old copies of Hereford Times and Hereford Journal (various online sites) you will find William Acton lived for over 20 years at Priory Wood late 1700s early 1800s. The property was passed onto his son also William a malster in Hay.
There are many descriptions of the property owned, which I suspect is your home, as it was advertised as being for rent.

Offline fauves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 October 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
If you look at old copies of Hereford Times and Hereford Journal (various online sites) you will find William Acton lived for over 20 years at Priory Wood late 1700s early 1800s. The property was passed onto his son also William a malster in Hay.
There are many descriptions of the property owned, which I suspect is your home, as it was advertised as being for rent.

Incredibly I was looking at this exact information the precise moment your reply was emailed to me. I think this could be it. Thanks very much.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I really owe you guys one for this, just hope I might have nailed it finally!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 October 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again 1851 possible!?

William Acton 57 occ Maltster b Llanigon, Brecknockshire
Millina 65 Wife b Bosbury
Plus 4 Servants
Residing at Broad Street, Hay
Census ref HO107/2491/296/4
Still in Broad Street 1841
Census ref HO107/1370/ 10/9 / 11
In 1861 William has remarried a Mary aged 54 b Whipsnade, Bedfordshire residing at Yellow House, Broad Street
Census ref RG09/4225/6/5
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fauves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 October 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again 1851 possible!?

William Acton 57 occ Maltster b Llanigon, Brecknockshire
Millina 65 Wife b Bosbury
Plus 4 Servants
Residing at Broad Street, Hay
Census ref HO107/2491/296/4
Still in Broad Street 1841
Census ref HO107/1370/ 10/9 / 11
In 1861 William has remarried a Mary aged 54 b Whipsnade, Bedfordshire residing at Yellow House, Broad Street
Census ref RG09/4225/6/5
Keyboard86

Hello again,
This is definitely him and he was certainly the owner of our house! I have found a good few advertisements for the property in the Hereford journal, and I believe the house was called "Priory Wood House"?! This seems to tie in well with our neighbouring "Priory Wood Cottage".. Really interesting to note also that the house was obviously falling out of favour as the back kitchen became an office room and the four bedrooms became three with the servants bedrooms upstairs just called "attic space"..

Better keep digging! Seems to be quite a lot on William Acton, Maltster or Wm. Acton, Hay on Wye.

Thanks guys.

Offline Christine Lyttleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello to everyone who is interested in William Acton of Hay,
I am William's GGGG Granddaughter and live in Australia.  Firstly, I must acknowledge the Oswestry Genealogical Society for their assistance in locating this Roots Chat, as well as all the information provided to me by the Society.

I know of two William Actons. The senior William Acton (my GGGG Grandfather) was buried in Hay on May 2nd 1842 at the age of 82 years old.  His wife's name was Ann Acton, although I do not know her maiden name at this time.  He was known as Mr. William Acton Esq. He was a Maltster who was also a warden of the Anglican church in Hay. He did have three sons that I know of.  His son William Acton stayed in Hay at the house and continued in the occupation of Maltster.  Another son, Thomas Acton, moved to Wrexham where he was a Farmer and Commercial Traveller. A younger son, James Samuel Acton, is my  GGG Grandfather who was baptised in Lanigon (Hay) on 13 December 1799.  He followed his elder brother Thomas to Wrexham where he married an Ann Beardsworth in 1831. He was also a Maltster, as well as venturing into farming when he moved to Selattyn.  Afterwards, James immigrated with his family to Bungaree, Victoria, Australia which is near Ballarat.

As far as I know, the family were quite wealthy, well educated, and held positions of considerable status in the community.  Here in Australia, two of John's sons served as local Magistrates.  One of his grandsons was the Air Vice Marshall of the Australian Air Force and so it goes on. The Actons tend to be very academic and studious. They make excellent lecturers, doctors, engineers and accountants, military officers and Supreme Court Judges.   However, I must also add that we have plenty of everyday people in the family as well who do just as well at what they do i.e. working in a warehouse, housewives, salesmen etc. We just try to live good lives.

I really don't know how many children William and Ann Acton had.  There is a rumour in the family that James or his father was the son of a Lord Acton. I have never established this.  James' death notice states that he resided at Moreton Hall and Dorrington both of which are in Shropshire. 

I am just wondering whether anyone would like to post a photo of William Acton's house. This would be thrilling to see where my GGGG Grandfather lived on Broad Street.  It is marvellous that the house is still standing.  Does anyone want more information ?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Broad Street was formerly known as Wye Bridge Street

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52278b1be4b0ca162dba7af0/t/538399aee4b08f61e7a66b9f/1401133486355/broadstreet.pdf

Refer to Page 25 for Actons.

I'm sure you will recognise a lot of buildings in this document I found.

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeanne,
Thank you so much for posting the photo of my GGGG Grandfather William Acton's home.  Now I completely understand why one of my younger Acton cousins who is an Engineer (typical profession for an Acton) builds Palladian homes in Victoria.  We all love this architectural style.  I will now send this photo to all my cousins. You have made some very senior Actons in their eighties and nineties very happy.  We are all in Australia.
Regards,
Christine

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
That's great!  Pleased you found the one you wanted!  I know I was very happy to find the houses where my families lived in London, Boston and Canada.  All from Real Estate Websites actually, as I had the addresses to type into Google!

Houses haven't lasted that long in NZ yet! 😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeanne,
Hello to New Zealand. You will notice my surname Lyttleton and recognise Port Lyttleton (although somewhere along the line someone spelled the surname wrongly on a certificate). By the way, James Acton came to Australia through New Zealand. He spent some time there I believe, but didn't find the farming the best.  I don't know why, as the farming in New Zealand is marvellous.
Regards,
Christine