Author Topic: Engraved cufflinks  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Engraved cufflinks
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 02:59 BST (UK) »
My husband inherited a pair of cufflinks from his grandfather on his mother's side. ( I will try to attach a photo).  We believe the crest on one side with the hand holding a scimitar could be from Martin of Lockynge, but we cannot find a family link to this family.   The other image is a mystery, and of the set of 2 cufflinks, this image only appears on one set, whereas the hand with scimitar appears on each set.  There is a family story that the family is related to MacDonald of Clan Ranald, but again there is no proof.

Any ideas gratefully received  :)

Linda
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Engraved cufflinks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 08:11 BST (UK) »
Looking online for crests (NOT coats-of-arms) of a naked arm holding a scimitar, comes up with:

GARNEYS of Kenton, Suffolk
"An cubit arm erased Argent holding in the hand a scimitar argent"
(From A Dictionary of Suffolk Crests: Heraldic Crests of Suffolk Families, by Joan Corder and John Batchly)

There is also a Scottish Law report, stating that a MacRae family had a crest of a cubit arm holding a scimitar. (Heraldry in Scotland, by J.H. Stevenson. available on Google books)

Encyclopedia Heraldica, by William Berry also reports:
Ainslie family of Great Torrington, Lincoln
Crest: a dexter hand and arm, grasping a scimitar ppr

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply KGarrad

Perhaps I should have mentioned that my husband's grandfather had the surname of Martin - hence the idea of the link to the Martin's of Lockynge.  However, I'll keep your information in mind and try to find a link to either of the families mentioned.

The second cufflink is also a mystery.

Regards,
Linda
Turner (Shropshire)  Satterley (Devon) Panisset (UK & France) Martin (Northern Ireland) Warden (Northern Ireland)  Chaddock (Bristol)  Loram (Devon) Otter (UK Midlands) Boon (UK Midlands) Rouse (UK Midlands) Stevenson (UK Midlands)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 15 06:15 BST (UK) »
To me, the second one has the look of a headpiece similar to a bishops mitre.

I turned it through 180 degrees, and that is what it reminds me of. I do not say that is what it represents, just that it looks like to me.

A Chesters

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 15 06:19 BST (UK) »
Big initial M and smaller R in the centre of it, plus other difficult to determine images - representations of animals perhaps?  :-\

Offline Turner43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 15 08:14 BST (UK) »

If the second image is (partly) the initials M and R this could be because my husband's Martin grandfather had the middle name of Ranald.   

The idea of a Bishop's Mitre is also interesting.  There seems to be a star at the bottom of the possible 'M' - why have that if it's just an initial?

Thanks to A Chesters and Ruskie :)

Any more ideas out there?

Linda

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
McGeough?

Arm embowed with scimitar? Looks similar too! Even the rope bits at the bottom. Irish origin though

http://www.myfamilysilver.com/pages/crestfinder-crest.aspx?id=158557&name=Mcgeough

Kennedy?
http://the-red-thread.net/genealogy/kennedy.html
(like the McDonalds, Robert the Bruce supporters)
((Could the second cufflink be depicting  a Kennedy dolphin, with a waterspout to make a M and an R?))
(((Have you found a Kennedy in your tree?)))
*Now my imagination is getting the better of me*

Arm positions
http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/heraldry/charges/humans.html
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 October 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
McGeough?

Arm embowed with scimitar? Looks similar too! Even the rope bits at the bottom. Irish origin though

The "rope bits" is the torse.
Every coat-of-arms consists of a shield, on which sits a helm, on which sits the crest.
The crest is always depicted sitting on a base of twisted cloth - the torse.

The torse is usually 2 bits of cloth, of different colours. And normally the 2 major colours of the shield.

Good finds, though! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 October 15 12:06 BST (UK) »
Fairbairns' Crests lists some thirty names of families that use the scimitar crest.  This list includes the name Martin.  However it does not identify a specific branch of the family although a number of specific people are associated with a similar crest that just uses the lower arm truncated below the elbow. 
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk