Author Topic: Trying to find the surname of Adelaide from Eye  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the surname of Adelaide from Eye
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
I concur with LizzieL.

In 1841 Charlotte Rodwell is with her parents/siblings in Tannington, Suffolk.   1851 Census shows her father Samuel Rodwell bc.1789 Fressingfield (and there are a number of Rodwell's in Fressingfield).

Charlotte's own baptism is in the name Charlotte Roddle (familysearch) 11/4/1824 Tannington, Suffolk, dau. of Samuel and Frances.

I cannot find a marriage between Samuel and Frances but a number of trees on ancestry state her to be Frances Newson but with no sources.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a marriage for Samuel and Frances either.

I might have found Adelaide in 1861, but there are a few suppositions

There is an Adeline Avis b abt 1849 Eye, daughter of James Avis b abt 1827 Eye. So far this is quite close on birthdates / places to 1851. They are living in Ipswich. I can't find any birth for Adeline Avis or any trace of her in 1851, so I'm inclined to think it is the same person. If James is illiterate and has to dictate his details to someone to fill in the form, Havers could become Avis, especially if he dropped his aitches. The problem is, this James has a wife called Jane born about 1833 in Bacton. For this to work, Charlotte has to have died and James remarried a Jane.
There is a marriage in Hartismere district Q3 1858 for a James Havers, one possible bride is Jane Francis (the other is Eliza Keeley).
I can't find an alternative James Havers who would fit the 1858 marriage (but they could have emigrated the day after they tied the knot).
I haven't yet found a death for Charlotte, but Havers can be misspelt so many different ways.   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
I had found a Charlotte Rodwell of the correct age in Norwich with parent Charles , but this is over 20 miles from expected area. Tannington is only 6 or 7 Miles from Fressingfield so I am more than happy to go with that family.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Roddle as a spoken form of Rodwell makes a lot of sense to me. The Norfolk/ Suffolk border dialect lends itself to this pronunciation. There are many such, for example Garboldisham is pronounced Garblesham, Hepworth is Hepper and Wymondham is Windum. Perhaps most relevantly, local to me,  Badwell Ash is pronounced Baddle  and Elmswell is Emsle.
Thanks so much LizzieL and Annette7 for your most helpful detective work.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire