Author Topic: Margaret Teasdale born 1847 Airdrie  (Read 1203 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Teasdale born 1847 Airdrie
« on: Monday 19 October 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Margaret Teasdale, born 1847 Airdrie, was the daughter of Matthew Shaw Teasdale/ Ann Forrest. She immigrated to New Zealand where she married Abraham Laird in 1865. The puzzle for me is that in the 1851 census, she is noted to be age 4, and the granddaughter of John Allan/ Marrion Bogle. She is also found with this couple in 1861. However, the 1851 census also shows a Margaret Teasdale, age 4, living with Matthew Teasdale/ Ann Forrest. Scotlands People have only 4 Margaret Teasdales listed from 1600 to 1855. After an exhaustive search, I have not been able to make the connection between Margaret and her supposed grandparents. It would appear that this is the same person shown in both 1851 census records. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Teasdale born 1847 Airdrie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Registration of births was not compulsory till 1855 so it is possible that there may be other Margaret Teasdale births in 1847 in addition to the four you have found. It is possible, but unlikely, that it is the same Margaret recorded in both entries in 1851. I note Margaret us not with Matthew her parents in 1861 but there is a Margaret Teasdale born 1847 in Airdrie working as a servant at 209 New City Road, Blythswood,Glasgow and it is possible that could be her. In short there appear to be two Margaret Teasdales who were born in Airdrie in 1847.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 15 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Isobel beat me to it. I agree it looks like there were two Margaret's and your one is in the 1861 census working as a domestic servant in Glasgow aged 14.

Going back to the 1851 census - do you have a note of her siblings?

Matthew aged 9
Thomas  aged 6
Mary      aged 1

Let us know if we can help further.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Just a p.s. looking back on the site I used it would appear all the family went to New Zealand. Unfortunately I do not access to overseas records to check this out as it is too expensive. One child Mary could possible have gone to Australia.

Would this fit in with what you have?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
A Margaret Teasdale, illegitimate daughter of William Teasdale and Janet Allan, died in Airdrie in 1923 aged 76. This looks like the one you found living with John Allan and Marion Bogle. So there were indeed at least two Margaret Teasdales born about 1847.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
As Forfarian said the Margaret Teasdale found with John Allan and Marion Bogle is a different Margaret ...I would agree with the others that Margaret is the one found in the 1861 census as a servant working in Glasgow ...It appears that all the family went to New Zealand here is the death for her father
Mathew Shaw Teasdale died Apr--June 1895 Auckland cemetery records for his wife Ann Teasdale died 29 November 1884 age 64 also husband Mathew and son Thomas James hus.od Margaret Teasdale died 21 May 1930 A 75 Auckland
The family appear in the N Z electoral rolls
1880-1881 Mathew Shaw Teasdale at Cormandel Waikato
1890 Mathew Shaw Teasdale at Grey Street Auckland residential ( baker )
Thomas Teasdale Grey Street Auckland freehold ( baker )
Rosie