Author Topic: The term "common school" Belfast 1840s  (Read 3268 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The term "common school" Belfast 1840s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Is this the same William Henry Shaw?
adb.anu.edu.au/biography/shaw-william-henry-4565
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 15 01:54 BST (UK) »
Rootschat server "under stress" this morning (Australia time).  Thank you for all your responses.  Working backwards in response:

Aghadowey - your posting of the adb link has shown I have made a classic klutz error in assuming that the old hard copy photocopy of W H Shaws ADB listing (pre internet I suspect) may not be correct at all OR the education information that was originally stated was later deemed incorrect or unsubstantiated.  The current online adb listing (which I had not checked!) makes no mention of any early education at all.  And yes, the adb link is the correct man.  I will further look into where/when the old hard copy photocopy I was given came from etc.  So, in a round about way, thank you.

Scotmum - William Henry Shaw was not a minister as far as I am aware, no documet indicating that he trained as one either.  He arrived in Australia in 1852-53, settled in Ballarat not long after and was manager of Phoenix Foundry, Ballarat.  Born in Belfast in 1830, son of a James Smith Shaw (who, as a widower, immigrated with one daughter to Australia in early 1860s, subsquently died at Ballarat in 1872) and a Mary Hunter.  WH Shaws sisters (except one) all also immigrated to Australia and all settled in or around Ballarat.  Mother, Mary Shaw (nee Hunter) died on Feb 21 1858, Donegall Pass (found in British Newspaper archives) so I can place WH Shaw's parents in 1858.  I have found a baptism of one of W H Shaw's sisters (Elizabeth Smith Shaw) on 29 Jan 1826, Parish of St Anne's Shankill, COI.  No other baptisms found online and I gather that a large number of St Anne's documents are not online/been transcribed but can be accessed in person at PRONI ......  probably have just given way too much information that is irrelevant to my original query.

BallyaltikilliganG - I have seen the Familysearch online documents and there is also an unsourced "pedigree" (not sure what the correct name for this type of data is) on there.  Yes, you have the correct man, however he left Belfast around 1852.  Easy to trace W H Shaw's life in Australia via BDMs and newspapers - trickier back in Belfast.  I have copies of W H Shaw's DC and MC in Australia - all stating he was born in Belfast 27 Jul 1830, parents James Smith Shaw & Mary Hunter.  I also have Australian DC (1872) for father James Smith Shaw - the informant has stated that JS Shaw was married, aged 23 years old ...... in Ireland at a place Dougerrie/Dongerrie!!!   Bearing in mind that the DC informant was regurgitating previously heard verbal information to a registrar who may have been hard of hearing - this placename/parish could be anywhere. This DC also lists JS Shaw's children.  JS Shaw's newspaper death notice states that James Smith Shaw was the third son of a Dr John Shaw, Cookstown, County Tyrone.  Haven't looked into this information and possible online documents yet.

Aghadowey - I am emailing the "Inst" today to enquire about student archive registers ......

And finally, I would like to thank you all for clearly spending your valuable time helping me with my original query.  It is very much appreciated.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 15 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your full thanks to contributors, which of course encourages more!!
My last contribution  to your interesting search
I am sure you are aware of the frozen website http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/shaw/9225/ where Prue Holstein in 2008 mentions dispute who William Henry’s father was ie Dr John Shaw or James Shaw, she is replied to by Madeleine Fraser nee Shaw, she mentions her interest in James Shaw William Henrys father in Belfast and wants to find out about William Henrys brothers James Shaw b 1846 d1910

a william shaw son of a John Shaw was born in 1831 co down, which could be part of Belfast see fee charging but index free www.ancestryireland .com

I thought I would have a peep at the Cookstown in the civil parish of Derryloran possibiliies
1859 Griffiths Valuation see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation
SHAW    PETER    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN {Ballygroogan map ref 5]       
SHAW    GEORGE H.    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [DERRYLORAN, ALIAS KIRKTOWN map ref 18       
SHAW    GEORGE    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [COOLNAFRANKY map ref 4   
SHAW    WILLIAM H.    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [new buildings map ref 14       
SHAW    FRANCIS    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [TULLYGARE map ref 3       
SHAW    THOMAS    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [COOKSTOWN map ref 26       
FIELD    GEORGE    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [William st  COOKSTOWN   map ref 37 40  a tenant of George shaw   
SHAW    THOMAS    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [COAGH STREET COOKSTOWmap ref 37 4       
SHAW    WILLIAM    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [COAGH STREET COOKSTOWmap ref 37 78       
SHAW    GEORGE    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [GORTALOWRY map ref 2       
SHAW    GEORGE    TYRONE    DERRYLORAN [GORTALOWRY map ref 5

1846 Shaw Thomas, dyer of linen, Coagh st
1846 Shaw George & Co., Greenvale
found in http://www.cotyroneireland.com/slaterscookstown.html which doesn’t include farmers

1826 http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/tyrone/tithe-applotment-books/parish-of-derryloran.php#.Vix76UvBEYU
Shaw, James    T: Teressan Y: 1826   [perhaps Tyresson ( or Tyressan) a
mile from Cookstown on the Coagh Road (heading towards Lough Neagh).

Then by accident I came across Derryloran Parish Records Volume 1
The Parish Registers of Derryloran (Cookstown) parish church Volume 1 Baptisms – 1796–1842 Confirmations – 1824; 1828; 1833; 1837; 1840 http://ireland.anglican.org/about/179 on line at http://issuu.com/churchofireland/docs/derryloranvol1 you will need to register to see.  PRONI Blefast has an online church records guide for other denomination usually microfilms etc

Short Biographies of Doctors in Ireland exist eg Richard Clarke’s A Directory of Ulster Doctors (who qualified before 1901) Ulster Historical Foundation ie www.ancestryireland .com  ISBN
978-1-909556-02-7  Page Count
1293pp

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 October 15 06:00 GMT (UK) »
BallyaltikilliganG - once again, many thanks for the links and possible avenues for me to explore.
Yes, I was aware of this alleged dispute regarding the father of William Henry Shaw.  All documents and data I have to hand (or have investigated and collated) seem to clearly indicate to me that the father was James Smith Shaw and the father of James Smith Shaw was this alleged "Dr John Shaw, Cookstown".  The dispute seems to have come about in 2 parts, one being that the informant on James Shaw's DC described himself as son-in-law as opposed to grandson-in-law, the other being a discrepancy in the christian names on another family member's DC (sister of William Henry Shaw) ..... informant being the husband (from memory).  Both discrepancies I have noted but earlier marriage documents relating to William Henry and his siblings (and baptisms found to date) clearly point to James Smith Shaw being the father.
I haven't looked into the alleged father of James Smith Shaw as yet as I am still getting my head around this family, location in Belfast in early to mid 1800s and phased immigration of the siblings and father to Australia.
Cocksie
PS - I might start a new thread with new questions once I have investigated all the leads and links you lovely people have posted.
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork